Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I referred a tutoring job to David who’s a friend of mine. Since I don’t have many students to teach and I’m short of money, I told David:

Usually there’s 15% commission. It’s up to you if you want to give me.

Is my italic sentence natural?

There’s usually a 15% commission of the money one gets for the people who introduces students.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I referred a tutoring job to David who’s a friend of mine. Since I don’t have many students to teach and I’m short of money, I told David:

Usually there’s A 15% commission. It’s up to you if you want to give IT TO me.

Is my italic sentence natural?

There’s usually a 15% commission of the money one gets for the people who introduces students.
A 15% commission would have to be 15% of something.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would presume that you introduced them to each other.
Right. But the student is the one who’s going to pay. No, her company is the one who’s going to pay for her tuition fees.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
... give it to me.
Usually there’s 15% commission. It’s up to you if you want to give it to me.

Is the whole sentence natural now?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Usually there’s 15% commission. It’s up to you if you want to give it to me.

Is the whole sentence natural now?
I would use an article there.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
There is usually an introduction fee of 15% of the tuition fee.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm confused by the whole thing. If you're short of students (and money) and this unnamed person needs a tutor, why don't you tutor them yourself? I don't understand why you've passed them on to David.
I don't think I'd use "There is" at all. I'd say "I usually charge a 15% commission fee for introducing a student to a tutor. In this case, it's up to you whether you choose to pay me that commission". Even that is confusing. You either charge an introduction fee or you don't. It shouldn't be for the other person to decide whether to pay you or not.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm confused by the whole thing. If you're short of students (and money) and this unnamed person needs a tutor, why don't you tutor them yourself? I don't understand why you've passed them on to David.
I don't think I'd use "There is" at all. I'd say "I usually charge a 15% commission fee for introducing a student to a tutor. In this case, it's up to you whether you choose to pay me that commission". Even that is confusing. You either charge an introduction fee or you don't. It shouldn't be for the other person to decide whether to pay you or not.
Sorry for not having provide enough context. I appreciate your kindness and patience, emsr2d2.

I wish I could tutor her. She's not only good-looking but also attractive. However, it's almost impossible for me to tutor her because she's looking for a native speaker. She knows that I know some native speakers in Chongqing so she asked me to do her a favor. Students and parents are both demanding and they don't need someone like me. Well, I'm not saying that I'm not capable of teaching her, but the fact is that she wants to learn from a native speaker. David is the one who can help her. Most importantly, David finished his PhD course many years ago. I don't think Scarlett (The woman who asks me for help) will turn down someone who's well-traveled, knowledgeable and have experience in teaching GMAT and GRE in a language school here.

Again, much appreciated! I've learned a lot from you. The only happy thing I anticipate every day is to read your posts.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry for not having provideD enough context. I appreciate your kindness and patience, emsr2d2.

I wish I could tutor her. She's not only good-looking but also attractive. However, it's almost impossible for me to tutor her because she's looking for a native speaker. She knows that I know some native speakers in Chongqing so she asked me to do her a favor. Students and parents are both demanding and they don't need someone like me. Well, I'm not saying that I'm not capable of teaching her, but the fact is that she wants to learn from a native speaker. David is the one who can help her. Most importantly, David finished his PhD course many years ago. I don't think Scarlett (The woman who askED me for help) will turn down someone who's well-traveled, knowledgeable and HAS experience in teaching GMAT and GRE in a language school here.

Again, much appreciated! I've learned a lot from you. The only happy thing I anticipate every day is to read your posts.
"Good-looking" and "attractive* are almost the same thing.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm also struggling to understand what you're trying to do. When you say "usually" and "it's up to you", are you trying to lay a guilt trip on David? It seems very strange to me. Just tell him either that you'll make the introduction for free or that he has to pay you the 15%.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It is 2024. Such comments are extremely inappropriate. Her physical attributes should be completely irrelevant.
Sorry about that. I’ll bear in mind this. I just wanted to say that if she’s less demanding, I might teach her.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm also struggling to understand what you're trying to do. When you say "usually" and "it's up to you", are you trying to lay a guilt trip on David? It seems very strange to me. Just tell him either that you'll make the introduction for free or that he has to pay you the 15%.
I agree it sounds like I’m pushing David to give me the money. So, I haven’t said that. I asked this question for the sake of language learning. :)

Much appreciated!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree it sounds like I’m pushing David to give me the money. So, I haven’t said that. I asked this question for the sake of language learning. :)

Sorry, I don't follow you. Do you want him to give you the money or not?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Silverobama - Are all these scenarios you keep posting about actual examples from real life or are you making them up?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States