Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I have already been told by native speakers of English that it is unnatural to say 'The radio wasn't listened to (when I lived with my parents)'. Does it mean that 'to be listened to' is never used? Can we say 'The lecturers used to be listened to attentively'?

Why doesn't it work with the radio? Is it because it is an inanimate object? Can we say 'The music was listened to a lot'?

I have already been told by native speakers of English that it is unnatural to say 'The radio wasn't listened to (when I lived with my parents)'.
That passive sentence is grammatical but unnatural because the active 'Nobody listened to the radio when I lived with my parents' is far more commonly used by native English-speakers.

That passive sentence is grammatical but unnatural because the active 'Nobody listened to the radio when I lived with my parents' is far more commonly used by native English-speakers.
Yes, I have been told that with 'the radio' it sounds unnatural. With the 'lecturer' or 'the professor' it sounds quite natural, as far as I understand. Does it sound unnatural with 'the music' as well? ('(The) music wasn't listened to when I lived with my parents')

You can say either one. Is that what you want to know?
Not quite. I want to know if they sound natural, at least in some contexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back