what's the difference between "look to something as ' and "look upon something as"

Status
Not open for further replies.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
what's the difference between "look to something as ' and "look upon something as"

In a piece of news, it is said that: The new study may encourage people to look to viruses as a factor contributing to obesity.
I was told that look to can not be replaced by look upon, which I assume means "regard something as something". I don't know the difference between these two expressions. Could you explain it to me? Thanks.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: what's the difference between "look to something as ' and "look upon something as

In a piece of news, it is said that: The new study may encourage people to look to viruses as a factor contributing to obesity.
I was told that look to can not be replaced by look upon, which I assume means "regard something as something". I don't know the difference between these two expressions. Could you explain it to me? Thanks.

I wouldn't consider use of "look upon" as necessarily wrong, but for me and in you example, it is a less emphatic term than "look to".

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Re: what's the difference between "look to something as ' and "look upon something as

I wouldn't consider use of "look upon" as necessarily wrong, but for me and in you example, it is a less emphatic term than "look to".

Then are they of the same meaning, that is, look to here also means consider, but with emphasis? I found in the dictionary look to also means hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.