"When I was a child my Dad and me would take meto the cinema 3 times a week." Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

worcester

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
"When I was a child my Dad and me would take meto the cinema 3 times a week." Wrong?

Hello everyone,

I have just read that we cannot use "would"/"used to" for repeated events in the past if we mention how many times in total something happened.
Does it mean that the following sentence is wrong?

"When I was a child my Dad would take me to the cinema 3 times a week."

Thank you.

Re: "When I was a child my Dad and me would take meto the cinema 3 times a week." Wr

I don't find any problem with your sentence.

Re: "When I was a child my Dad and me would take meto the cinema 3 times a week." Wr

If I used "used to" in this sentence instead of "would", would it still be correct?
[h=2]When I was a child my Dad used to take me to the cinema 3 times a week[/h]Thank you.

Yes.

I think you misunderstood the "rule" that you quoted. The phrase "three times a week" is a frequency, not a total number.

If your father took you to the cinema a total of three times, you would not use "would" or "used to".

Hello everyone,

I have just read that we cannot use "would"/"used to" for repeated events in the past if we mention how many times in total something happened.
Does it mean that the following sentence is wrong?

"When I was a child my Dad would take me to the cinema 3 times a week."

Thank you.

Your sentence is correct, as the previous posts have indicated, but your title is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back