JEic

Member Type
Native Language
Cantonese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Staggering to his feet, he rushed headlong into the crowd while behind him the train, puffing hard, picked up speed, his pursuers still aboard. (Source: The Nevermore Poe Collection by Edgar Allan Poe, Kelly Creagh)

This sentence is long. As I read the bolded clause, I thought about the grammar: "while behind him the train, puffing hard, picked up speed, his pursuers still aboard"

The subject here is "the train"?

Should there be a comma after "while behind him'? - "while behind him, the train, puffing hard,"
- If yes or no, why?
- is "puffing" a gerund here? I don't understand the grammar here; it looks complex.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the subject "the train'?

No.

"This sentence is long."

No, it's only four words.
😊

You can see "puffing" as a gerund if you like.

The sentence isn't all that complicated.

Are you able to understand the story?

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Staggering to his feet, he rushed headlong into the crowd while behind him the train, puffing hard, picked up speed, his pursuers still aboard. (Source: The Nevermore Poe Collection by Edgar Allan Poe, Kelly Creagh)

. . . is "puffing" a gerund here? I don't understand the grammar here; it looks complex.
"Behind him the train, puffing hard, picked up speed" could be rearranged like this: "Puffing hard, the train picked up speed behind him."

"Puffing hard" is not a gerund; it is not functioning as a substantive. It is an adverbial participial modifier whose implied subject is "the train."

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Should there be a comma after "while behind him'? - "while behind him, the train, puffing hard,"
- If yes or no, why?
No, because it isn't necessary. There would be too many breaks in the sentence.

while behind him the train, puffing hard, picked up speed, his pursuers still aboard.
Read it this way: ... while behind him the train, which was puffing hard, picked up speed, with his pursuers still aboard.

Is the The subject here is "the train"?
The main subject is "he". I guess "train" is the subject of the second clause, starting with "while". I'll let someone else explain the grammar in detail.

Cross-posted.

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
As I read the bolded clause, I thought about the grammar: "while behind him the train, puffing hard, picked up speed, his pursuers still aboard"

The subject here is "the train"?
Yes.

- If yes or no, why?
This web page says it better:
"3 .... It is permissible to omit the comma after a brief introductory element if the omission does not result in confusion or hesitancy in reading. If there is ever any doubt, use the comma, as it is always correct."

While you're on it, also check out 4 and 11.

And:
(click on "Participial Phrases")

Last edited: