Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Please correct my mistakes. Thanks!
Why do you run?
A couple of people were sleeping well on their bed. At three o’clock, hearing a loud sound outside, the woman leapt out of the bed and shouted with a fearful sound “my husband comes home”. The man who lay next to the woman went quickly out of the bed without clothes. He climbed out of the window and fell down the area in front of the house. He ran through a bush and reached his car. A moment later, he went back his room and yelled at the woman “I am your husband, you are an adultery”. The woman yelled back at him “ why do you run for it, you are an adultery too”.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please correct my mistakes. Thanks!

Why [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] did you run?

[STRIKE]A couple of people[/STRIKE] A man and a woman were [STRIKE]sleeping well[/STRIKE] fast asleep [STRIKE]on their[/STRIKE] in bed. At [STRIKE]three o’clock[/STRIKE] 3am, hearing a loud sound outside, the woman leapt out of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] bed scared and shouted [STRIKE]with a fearful sound[/STRIKE] “My husband's [STRIKE]comes[/STRIKE] home”. The man [STRIKE]who lay next to the woman went quickly[/STRIKE] jumped out of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] bed [STRIKE]without clothes[/STRIKE] naked. He [STRIKE]climbed[/STRIKE] jumped out of the window [STRIKE]and fell down[/STRIKE] into the area in front of the house. He ran through a bush [STRIKE]and reached[/STRIKE] to his car. A moment later, he went back [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] went back to the bedroom and yelled at the woman “I am your husband. You are an [STRIKE]adultery[/STRIKE] adulterer”. The woman yelled back at him “Why [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] did you run for it? You are an [STRIKE]adultery[/STRIKE] adulterer too”.

See above.

Note that the dialogue, although grammatically correct with my changes, isn't very natural. It would be more likely to go something like this:

Man: I am your husband! You're clearly cheating on me!
Woman: So why did you run? Clearly, you're cheating on me too!

(There would probably be some swearing in there too!)

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This is my rewrite.
Why did you run?

A man and a woman were fast asleep in bed. At three am, hearing a loud sound outside, the woman leapt out of bed scared and shouted “My husband’s home”. The man jumped out of bed naked. He jumped out of the window into the area in front of the house. He ran through a bush to his car. A moment later, he went back to the bedroom and yelled at the woman “I am your husband! You are clearly cheating on me”. The woman yelled back at him “Why did you run? Clearly, you are cheating on me too!”

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is my rewrite.

I think you'll find that it's actually just a copy of my rewrite in post #2!

Did you notice that I wrote "3am" not "three am"?

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I think 3am and three am is the same, right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They mean the same thing but only one of them is the way we generally write a time. Which one do you think it is?

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
They mean the same thing but only one of them is the way we generally write a time. Which one do you think it is?

I don't know bro, I used the google search and I got it that "at 3 am" is the best.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Are you going to tell us whether these are your own jokes, or whether you are translating them from some source? It's unlikely to be a copyright issue, but an attribution is the right thing to do, and we like to see sources (they often help in answering the question).

PS: emsr2d2 is not a bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.