Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
France
Hi all,
I made up a dialogue myself and some problems revealed are baffling me. The dialogue is as follows:

Mary: I broke up with him.He is just a lier.
Mary's homegirl:You make the same mistake as you did last time. I told you he isn't reliable.But you never listened.

My questions:
1. "as you did the last time" or "as you did last time". Which one is correct and natural ?
2. Is it OK if I say "you make the same mistake as last time" ?
3. "I told you he isn't " or "he wasn't" ? I'm wondering which tense I should apply here.

Thanks a lot and any corrections to my mistakes in this thread are welcomed ! =)

Welcome to the forum, toutoublue.

Are you really a Chilean whose native language is Chinese and who now livesin France? If not, please amend your profile.
Mary: I broke up with him.He is just a [STRIKE]lier[/STRIKE] liar.
Mary's homegirl:You make the same mistake as you did last time. I told you he isn't reliable.But you never listened.
My questions:

1. "as you did the last time" or "as you did last time". Which one is correct and natural ? - ... as you did/made last time. 'The' is not incorrect, but I think the sentence is more natural without it.
2. Is it OK if I say "you make the same mistake as last time" ? No - 'You are making ...' or 'You have made ...'
3. "I told you he isn't " or "he wasn't" ? I'm wondering which tense I should apply here. Both are possible, but 'wasn't' is more likely.

ps. What's a 'homegirl'?

Thank you very much 5jj.

So according to your reply, I can also say "You're making the same mistake as last time" and "You've made the same mistake as last time" with leaving out "you did" ?

Why I can't use "You make" in this case while "You make" works in "You make the same mistake as you did last time".

What if I replace "as" with "like" here ? I mean, "You are making the same mistake like last time" ?

Thank you in advance.

PS: I learned "homegirl" in a Miley Cyrus's song. I suppose it means a good female friend to the end from whom we conceal nothing.

PS: I made a mistake: My home country is China. I chose Chile by error.I am now living in Paris. J'habite éventuellement à Paris.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back