You're giving off caretaker/caregiver vibes right now.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
You're giving off caregiver/caretaker vibes right now.

A girl hugs and babies their plushie and I want to comment on that she's giving off maternal vibes in that moment. Could I do that by saying "you're giving off caregiver/caretaker vibes right now"?
I usually see the words "caregiver" and "caretaker" associated with a profession rather than literally a person who takes care of another such as a mother. While there are dictionary entries that essentially say the latter, they don't give unambiguous examples.

Do you think those words work the way I want to use them?

Now that I'm thinking about it, it'd probably be ambiguous anyway, so perhaps I should stick to "maternal". Open to suggestions, though.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could use "maternal" but a very young child probably wouldn't know that word. A "caregiver" might be a professional but might also be, for example, a close family member. A caretaker is somebody who takes care of something -- not necessarily a person (usually not).

P.S. There's a story behind this one. Right in the middle I got sleepy and took a nap. Then I came back and finished. 😊

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It really depends on the age of the child. Are they old enough to understand "caregiver" or "maternal"? Would they know what "giving off XXX vibes" means? Depending on the age, I'd use anything from "Awww, you being a mummy?" up to your sentence (but I agree that "caretaker" is definitely the wrong choice).

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
A caretaker is somebody who takes care of something -- not necessarily a person (usually not).
If you told me she were giving off 'caretaker vibes', I'd imagine she were wearing overalls and carrying a mop.
Oh, that other meaning of it. Noted.
You could use "maternal" but a very young child probably wouldn't know that word. A "caregiver" might be a professional but might also be, for example, a close family member.
It really depends on the age of the child. Are they old enough to understand "caregiver" or "maternal"? Would they know what "giving off XXX vibes" means? Depending on the age, I'd use anything from "Awww, you being a mummy?" up to your sentence (but I agree that "caretaker" is definitely the wrong choice).
I was talking to a 19y/o who still played with plushies (common egirl trait), just like me. 😅 Expect the unexpected!

Regarding "caretaker" being the wrong choice, it does confuse me that some sites define it as literally a person who takes care of a person who is young, old, or sick (1, see second definition). Perhaps you just call it "carer" in the UK?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@ghoul I would bookmark www.dictionary.com if I were you. I don't know if they do it every time, but they give you ten example sentences for a word.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I am interested @ghoul in checking out those sites that define caretaker as a person who takes care of another. Would you please provide URLs or links.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
ghoul gave a link to one such site in post #5.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
@ghoul I would bookmark www.dictionary.com if I were you. I don't know if they do it every time, but they give you ten example sentences for a word.
Sure; I usually check a words' definition in several dictionaries before asking about it here and when I do, I often feel like they didn't give(?) me the full picture in terms of how common which of the translations are. I think "caretaker" was a good example of that; had(?) I trusted those few dictionary entries equating it to "person that takes care of another" blindly, then that girl I was flirting with would have likely thought I called her a ****ing janitor, considering how everyone in the thread understood that word.

(unnecessary adjective removed - mod)

Last edited: