"each and every of" is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

groopy7777

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi. I wanna know about the expression "each and every of".

(ex.)
I want to meet face-to-face with each and every of my fans who values and loves me.

The expression seems to be strange, because one does not usually says
"every of my fans loves me". Instead, one will say "every fan loves me".

The above example sentence is correct? Is there any better expression rather than "each and every of "?

Hi. I want to know about the expression "each and every of".

The expression seems to be strange, because one does not usually says
"every of my fans loves me". Instead, one will say "every fan loves me".

Is the above example sentence correct? Is there any better expression than "each and every of ?" Omit "rather".

I want to meet face to face with each and every one of my fans who values and loves me.

Last edited:
Thank you very much.

The expression "each and every of" is used in many websites of the U.S.
I found more than 4,000,000 google search results.
Such native speakers does not feel that the expression is strange, does they?

Thank you very much.

Such native speakers do[STRIKE]es[/STRIKE] not feel that the expression is strange, do[STRIKE]es [/STRIKE]they?
There are over 45,000,000 hits for "each and every one of", and that is the common way to express that.
I would not say "each and every of", even though it still would be understandable.

It's OK to say 'each and every of' in conversation. But if you were to write it in an English exam, I think it will be marked as wrong. :)

not a teacher

Thank you very much.

Such native speakers does not feel that the expression is strange, does they?

Thank you for pointing this out. I had no idea that this was acceptable usage, but the many examples found on websites -- a great many of which come from people with a clear command of the language -- have brought me to see that "each and every of" is, in fact, quite fine English. And I can see no logical reason why it would be necessary to include "one" in order to make it clearer. I think it's just a habit we have slipped into.

Thank you for pointing this out. I had no idea that this was acceptable usage, but the many examples found on websites -- a great many of which come from people with a clear command of the language -- have brought me to see that "each and every of" is, in fact, quite fine English. And I can see no logical reason why it would be necessary to include "one" in order to make it clearer. I think it's just a habit we have slipped into.

Of course not all of those 4,000,000 hits actually say that. (That applies to the 45,000,000 hits also.)

The fact is we do say 'each of (us)(them)', but we don't say 'every of (us)(them)'.

[edit] Determiner

each and every

Each without exception; used for emphasis.
Do not leave without checking each and every door to make sure it is locked.
[edit]

Usage notes
Unlike most English determiners, each and every cannot stand on its own without a noun following; in the absence of such a noun, each and every one must be used.

each and every - Wiktionary

[edit] Determiner

each and every

Each without exception; used for emphasis.
Do not leave without checking each and every door to make sure it is locked.
[edit]

Usage notes
Unlike most English determiners, each and every cannot stand on its own without a noun following; in the absence of such a noun, each and every one must be used.

each and every - Wiktionary

I agree with the use of it in your example above - "each and every door", but I certainly wouldn't say "each and every of (the) doors".
It would be "Do not leave without checking each and every one of the doors to make sure........"

The original poster asked for any alternatives to the example sentence. I would suggest:

"I want to meet every single one of my fans face-to-face......."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back