English Language Articles
Articles about learning, using and teaching the English language, including advice, tutorials, opinions and lesson plans from various authors and contributors. Articles cover topics from English grammar, spelling and punctuation, through to language teaching, career development, specialisations, and ideas and suggestions for the classroom.
Latest Articles & Notes on English
- Offensive, insulting and aggressive gestures in the UK - Rude British gestures and other body language that could cause offense in the United Kingdom.
- British body language - Shaking hands, kissing, hugging, eye contact, bodily contact, proximity, and standing and sitting positions in the UK.
- 80 British gestures - List of UK gestures, with meanings of gestures used in the United Kingdom and how to make them.
- Differences between British and American emails - Explanations of the differences between UK and US emails, including opening and closing British and American emails, and requests, apologies, instructions and job applications in the UK and USA.
- How to complain and deal with complaints on the phone - What to say and what not to say when you complain by telephone and receive complaints on the phone.
- The 100 most useful phrases for business meetings - The most important phrases for taking part in business meeting in English.
- 25 stupid things about Cambridge First Certificate - 25 illogical parts of FCE that Cambridge need to change, and in the meantime teachers and students have to cope with.
- How to leave and take telephone messages - What to do and say when dictating and taking dictation on the telephone, with useful leaving and taking messages phrases and common mistakes when dealing with dictating on the phone.
- The 100 most useful emailing phrases - A carefully chosen list of essential language for the beginning, body and ending of formal and informal English emails.
- How to end phone calls smoothly and politely - What to do and what not to do when bringing calls to a close, including tips, useful telephoning phrases, and typical mistakes when ending calls.
Richard Flynn (aka Tdol) is an English teacher and the Site Editor here at UsingEnglish.com. Here, he talks about English usage that catches his eye or ear, and looks at language issues that interest or puzzle him.
Browse The Editor's Blog
Formal Letter Writing - Help with formal and business letter writing. A summary of writing rules including outlines for cover letters and letters of enquiry, and abbreviations used in letters.
Speaking Out - A collection of thoughts, comments and articles regarding some of the issues and discussion points that have been raised in our ESL Forum.