English Language Articles
Articles about learning, using and teaching the English language, including advice, tutorials, opinions and lesson plans from various authors and contributors. Articles cover topics from English grammar, spelling and punctuation, through to language teaching, career development, specialisations, and ideas and suggestions for the classroom.
Latest Articles & Notes on English
- How to start phone calls in English - How to begin telephone calls, chat at the start of calls and move smoothly to the topic of the call, for both callers and people answering the phone.
- The 100 most useful telephoning phrases - A carefully chosen list of the most important phrases for making and receiving business and personal telephone calls, including lots of useful language for starting and ending calls, dealing with communication problems, taking and leaving messages, etc.
- The most useful can/ can’t for ability activities - Interactive classroom activities for can and can’t for ability, focussing on language that students really need.
- How to teach 'can' and 'can’t' for ability - How to make 'can' and 'can’t' lessons really useful for students, including how to identify and deal with common problems with the language of ability.
- How to teach Cambridge First Certificate (FCE) Use of English key word sentence transformations - Teaching tips and stimulating classroom activities for Cambridge First Certificate Reading and Use of English Part Four (writing sentences with the same meaning), with 11 key word sentence transformation games.
- How to teach possessive adjectives - Simple and fun ways of teaching and practising “my”, “your”, “his”, “her”, “its”, “our” and “their”, with 16 possessive adjective games.
- How to teach the zero conditional - Teaching tips and fun classroom activities for “If…” with Present Simple, modal verbs and imperatives, including 18 Zero Conditional games.
- How to teach English syllables - Teaching counting and pronouncing the right number of beats in English words.
- How to teach Cambridge First Certificate Listening Part Four - Hints and classroom activities for the last part of the Cambridge English: First (FCE) listening test
- Fitting learner training into your syllabus - Making sure that students find out the best ways to improve their English outside the classroom without needing to diverge from your class’s curriculum, with many ideas for interactive classroom activities on the topic of language learning.
Richard Flynn (aka Tdol) is an English teacher and the Site Editor here at UsingEnglish.com. Here, he talks about English usage that catches his eye or ear, and looks at language issues that interest or puzzle him.
Browse The Editor's Blog
Formal Letter Writing - Help with formal and business letter writing. A summary of writing rules including outlines for cover letters and letters of enquiry, and abbreviations used in letters.
Speaking Out - A collection of thoughts, comments and articles regarding some of the issues and discussion points that have been raised in our ESL Forum.