Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The person who pays the tax is the taxpayer. How do I refer to the person who does the paperwork, say, the accountant?

I'm looking for an officianl, legal word that you slap on a legal paper where there's the place to sign for the taxpayer, and who's done the paperwork.

Can you help me out?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, "accountant" can work, but it depends on the actual (real) role of that person. They could be, for example, a tax agent, or even an auditor.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Or bookkeeper.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And, in the UK at least, many self-employed people do their own tax return without any help, and then just pay the resulting tax bill online.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Tax preparer" in the US.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm looking for an officianl, legal word that you slap on a legal paper where there's the place to sign for the taxpayer, and who's done the paperwork.
An informal, unpaid helper who assists a friend or relative in the event of say, physical or mental infirmity, can be called a representative or proxy.

(But 'slap' isn't the most felicitous word here.)

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you for your help! I think that's what I might be looking for.

One more question. I do know of the expression "power of attorney". Can it be used to define who a tax agent/preparer is? Does this expression apply here? As in "The person who has the power of attorney to deal with one's taxes"?

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could have an accountant. You could have a tax lawyer. You could have a guy who works every April at the H&R Block in the mall. "Tax preparer" is the catchall term.

IRS forms have a line for a signature for a paid preparer, if one exists.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do know of the expression "power of attorney". Can it be used to define who a tax agent/preparer is? Does this expression apply here? As in "The person who has the power of attorney to deal with one's taxes"?
No. Power of attorney is the legal right to stand in for another person. A person who holds a document granting them that right is sometimes informally called the other person's "power of attorney", but that's an illogical usage which learners should avoid.

Power of attorney comes in many flavors. It can be limited to a single transaction involving a motor vehicle, it can be restricted to health care or financial decisions, or it can be unrestricted and apply to all legal matters.

Tax preparers fill out forms. The forms still require signatures of the taxpayers or a person who holds their power of attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.