Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Let's say I have the following sentence, 'Although the Government has introduced new legislation, the transport crisis is growing worse.' Now I have to complete the following sentence so that it has a similar meaning meaning to the previous sentence, but I have to use the boldfaced word.

brought

Although new legislation .... , the transport crisis is growing worse.

My version: Although new legislation has been brought about, the transport crisis is growing worse.

However, the answer key says: has been | brought in (by the government).

Is my version also correct and natural?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. This question comes from Certificate of Proficiency in English, Past Examination Papers, June 2006.

Last edited:

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

They both sound alright to me. I'm not sure either of the statements make it wholly clear whether the legislation has been ratified or not, though.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say that "new legislation has been brought in" means that the new legislation is now law.

For me, "brought about" is closer to "caused by" or "as a result of". "The consideration of new legislation was brought about by the crisis in the transport industry".

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say that "new legislation has been brought in" means that the new legislation is now law.

For me, "brought about" is closer to "caused by" or "as a result of". "The consideration of new legislation was brought about by the crisis in the transport industry".

Yes. With "brought about" I expect "by (something)" as in your "by the crisis etc."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The whole thing sounds unfamiliar to me. In the US if new legislation is introduced, that just means someone has placed legislation before the legislature. It doesn't mean that it has become a law.

Status
Not open for further replies.