Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys,

I have a question but I haven't found an answer to that question, if we are talking about past and we use "so that" so after "so that" we have to continue our sentence in past is that right in any condition, for example I did this so that this wouldn't happen, can "would" in this sentence be replaced by "didn't" or not, and could you also explain me how "lest" works in past with some examples, actually "lest" is making me confused, please explain me with some examples.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
if we are talking about past and we use "so that" so after "so that" we have to continue our sentence in past is that right in any condition, for example I did this so that this wouldn't happen,

Not really.
"The chief apologized to them, and she changed the rules so that it won't happen again." is possible, for instance.

can "would" in this sentence be replaced by "didn't" or not,

No, I don't think so. It should be either "wouldn't" or "won't"

and could you also explain me how "lest" works in past with some examples, actually "lest" is making me confused, please explain me with some examples.

Please check some example sentences (especially the ones in the past tense) here: http://fraze.it/n_search.jsp?q=lest&l=0&sugg=off

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am closing this thread.

You have been asked more than once to break up your almost incomprehensible questions into digestible sentences. Unless you try to follow advice you have been given, you may find that your posts are deleted as soon as they appear. There is no point in our wasting our time giving you suggestions if you simply ignore them

Status
Not open for further replies.