Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I hope this eeric title dosen't shock you.
I just finish reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, which is an attractive and epic novel, and the epitaph wrriten in this book-In Loving Memory of Laura-intertests me that what are epitaphs commonly looks like in English-speaking country? Also, do you know some enlighting epitaphs in the tomb of great people?:-D

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In loving memory is fairly common on graves, as is stating the relatioships that the person had within the family- beloved father, brother, etc.

Here's a famous one from the poet WB Yeats:

Cast a cold Eye
On Life, on Death.
Horseman, pass by!

wulala

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In loving memory is fairly common on graves, as is stating the relatioships that the person had within the family- beloved father, brother, etc.

Here's a famous one from the poet WB Yeats:

Cast a cold Eye
On Life, on Death.
Horseman, pass by!

Thanks for your answer. The first phrase seems shows the strong will towards the difficulty in life, but I am confused about the last phrase. What is the meaning of the metapher horseman?

boehm

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
An interpretation of the poem is that when we die, life will continue. The horseman is symbolic regarding the continuation of life.

Another interpretation is that members of the gentry were on horseback. They were allowed to pass without stopping. Thus, "Horseman, pass by!" It's an enigmatic sentence. Anyway, if you like Yeats, you should read Down by the Salley Gardens.

Status
Not open for further replies.