Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
This was one of the biggest earthquakes to hit the western coast of South America in many years. And the first images from Chile showed buildings shaking and some people running into the open as the 8.3 magnitude quake struck. There were scenes of panic in coastal cities with residents making their way to higher ground as tsunami warnings were issued. The epicenter was recorded offshore, some five miles below the surface, but the tremor was also reportedly felt on the other side of the continent- in Argentina and Brazil. A mid-early reported at least?three people had been killed. Chile's president Michelle Bachelet called an emergency meeting and promised to visit the affected areas. The president was widely criticized for failing to respond properly to a previous earthquake five years ago, which killed five hundred people in a country where tremors are very common. Because of its too logical history?, Chile is increasingly prepared to deal with earthquakes and their aftermath. All new buildings have to be designed to withstand the strongest quakes and their early warning alarm systems up and down its three thousand mile long coast.
...... Davis, BBC news

Concerning this thread, I'm not sure about the underlined parts.:oops:

Thank you.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Hi tzfujimino,

1. The reason the first underlined part doesn't makes sense is because he's speaking in abbreviated fashion at that point. My words in brackets have been added to make it make sense. He says:

"A mid-early report [stated] that at least three people had been killed; [and] Chile's president Michelle Bachelet called an emergency meeting and promised to visit the affected areas.".

2. "Because of its geological history, Chile is increasingly prepared to deal with earthquakes and their aftermath".

3. "Wyre Davies" [This is a very Welsh name, and is pronounced in English as something like "Wiruh Dayvis". He pronounces some words with a relatively strong Welsh accent, such as "years" in the first sentence which he pronounces as "yurs". Another typical Welsh pronunciation is the way that he says "aftermath" - with a short, hard second "a".]
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...ei=ogcDVurDKcj-ULD4vng#safe=off&q=wyre+davies

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for your kind help, Eckaslike, as always.:-D

I know there's no need to make a new post just to say thank you, but I couldn't resist.

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.