Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hi everyone,
Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. When I was walking in the park I saw John who was running.
2. When I was walking in the park I saw John who had been running.
3. When I was walking in the park I saw John who had been running there since 5 o'clock.

I personally understand these sentences as follows:

1.When I was walking in the park I saw John who was running. (I was in the process of walking and he was in the process of running.)

2. When I was walking in the park I saw John who had been running. (I was in the process of walking and he had just stopped running and was probably sitting on the ground and having some rest.)

3. When I was walking in the park I saw John who had been running there since 5 o'clock. (I was in the process of walking and he was in the process of running but it is specified here that he started running before I reached the park.)

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi everyone,
Please correct me if I am wrong.

3. When I was walking in the park I saw John who had been running there since 5 o'clock.

1.When I was walking in the park I saw John who was running. (I was in the process of walking and he was in the process of running.)

2. When I was walking in the park I saw John who had been running. (I was in the process of walking and he had just stopped running and was probably sitting on the ground and having some rest.)

3. When I was walking in the park I saw John who had been running there since 5 o'clock. (I was in the process of walking and he was in the process of running but it is specified here that he started running before I reached the park.)

Thank you.

1. I agree with your interpretation.
2. I agree with the beginning of your interpretation but I definitely don't agree that he is now sitting on the ground having a rest. All we know is that he is no longer running.
3. I agree with the beginning of your interpretation but we don't know that he had started running there before you reached the park. What time you reached the park is not specified. You might have been walking in the park since 4.55 or 3.20 or any other time.

In all your sentences, you need to put a comma after "John".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
All three need a comma after 'John'.

1.(I was in the process of walking and he was in the process of running.)
2. (I was in the process of walking and he had just stopped running and was probably sitting on the ground and having some rest.)
3. (I was in the process of walking and he was in the process of running but it is specified here that he started running before I reached the park.)
That's how I understand them, with the reservations expressed by ems.

Status
Not open for further replies.