Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Lebanon
Current Location
Lebanon
Hello guys

today I read the word substitute, so I searched for its meaning so I can use it sometime in future

I found some difficulties in the definitions of its and I really couldn't get it well

so how can I differ between ( substitue sth/sb for sth/sb else ) and ( substitue sth/sb " with/by " sth/sb else ) ?

and can you give me examples about it ?

J

J&K Tutoring

Your question has been out there for a while with no responses, so perhaps others are as confused as I am. You are using too many abbreviations. Please make your question and examples more clear. It might also be useful to number your questions/examples so someone can address them more easily and clearly.

nesyan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Lebanon
Current Location
Lebanon
Your question has been out there for a while with no responses, so perhaps others are as confused as I am. You are using too many abbreviations. Please make your question and examples more clear. It might also be useful to number your questions/examples so someone can address them more easily and clearly.

I'm sorry about using many abbreviations which made my question not very clear for you
I mean by using
sth = something
&
sb = somebody

I meant what the difference between
substitute someone or something for someone or something else
and
substitute someone or something with/by someone for something else

e.g : substitute John for Alex
substitute Alex with/by John

I find it very confusing and I hope to get help that make me understand what I asked for

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm going to substitute apple juice for wine = I'm not going to use wine, I'm going to use apple juice instead.

I'm going to substitute apple juice with wine = I'm not going to use apple juice, I'm going to use wine instead.

nesyan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Lebanon
Current Location
Lebanon
I'm going to substitute apple juice for wine = I'm not going to use wine, I'm going to use apple juice instead.

I'm going to substitute apple juice with wine = I'm not going to use apple juice, I'm going to use wine instead.

thank you for the clear explanation
I understand the differences now

Status
Not open for further replies.