Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

Is it more natural to call things like bronze making a technology or technique?

"For one's future job, he needs to be well prepared, both psychologically and technically or technologically(Which one?)

Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say that bronze-making is an art, a technique or a talent. I definitely wouldn't call it technology.

In your main sentence, you can't use "one's" at the beginning and then use "he needs". Use either "For his future job" and "he needs", or "For one's future job" and "one needs".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The rule is that when one uses "one" in one's sentence one must continue to use "one until one's sentence ends.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did I not make that clear in post #2?

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Did I not make that clear in post #2?
You did make it clear in post #2. But it was regarding bronze-making, not the sentence below it.

I would like to know in this sentence""For one's future job, one needs to be well prepared, both psychologically and technically (technologically)"whether I should choose "technically" or "technologically".

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please read post #2 again, LeTyan.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please read post #2 again, LeTyan.
Oh! Sorry I didn't notice that. I knew I was wrong about how to use "one" immediately after emsr2d2 pointed that out. I just didn't correct it here. Now I have edited it already. So is it Okay for you to take my follow-up question now:)?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Bronze-making in the sense of getting copper out of the ground and alloying it with tin is a technology invented in early Bronze Age (probably by mere coincidence. ;-) )
In your situation, it's not clear what "bronze making" is, so it's hard to say what to call it. Are you talking about making things out of bronze? I'm sure there are special techniques for this, and that special technologies are involved somewhere. I'd use "technically" if I had to choose.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Bronze-making in the sense of getting copper out of the ground and alloying it with tin is a technology invented in early Bronze Age (probably by mere coincidence. ;-) )
In your situation, it's not clear what "bronze making" is, so it's hard to say what to call it. Are you talking about making things out of bronze? I'm sure there are special techniques for this, and that special technologies are involved somewhere. I'd use "technically" if I had to choose.
Yes, your guess is exactly what I meant (getting copper out the ground and alloying it). So by that sense, "Bronze-making" can be classified as a technology.And if Alchemy were real, it can be "technology" as well right?

Status
Not open for further replies.