Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone!

I've just started to read "The Godfather" and faced with unclear phrase. This is a peace of the text in order to understand the context:

Johnny Fontane got up. He hated the woman on the floor but her beauty was a magicshield. Margot rolled away, and in a dancer's spring was on her feet facing him. Shewent into a childish mocking dance and chanted, “Johnny never hurt me, Johnny neverhurt me.” Then almost sadly with grave beauty she said, “You poor silly bastard, givingme cramps like a kid. Ah, Johnny, you always will be a dumb romantic guinea, you evenmake love like a kid. You still think screwing is really like those dopey songs you used tosing."...

What does "romantic guinea" mean? I understood it sounds offensive and with contempt.
I do know a guinea can refer whether to the African country or coin. What about another meanings?

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the time in which the novel is set, Guinea was an offensive term in American English for an Italian-American. Romantic is an adjective which you can look up in a dictionary.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi everyone!

I've just started to read "The Godfather" and [STRIKE]faced[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] I've found a [STRIKE]unclear[/STRIKE] phrase I don't understand. This is a [STRIKE]peace[/STRIKE] piece of the text in order to understand the context:

Johnny Fontane got up. He hated the woman on the floor but her beauty was a magic (space here) shield. Margot rolled away, and in a dancer's spring was on her feet facing him. She (space here) went into a childish mocking dance and chanted, “Johnny never hurt me, Johnny never (space here) hurt me.” Then almost sadly with grave beauty she said, “You poor silly bastard, giving (space here) me cramps like a kid. Ah, Johnny, you always will be a dumb romantic guinea, you even (space here) make love like a kid. You still think screwing is really like those dopey songs you used to (space here) sing."...

What does "romantic guinea" mean? I understood it sounds offensive and with contempt.
I do know a guinea can refer whether to the African country or coin. What about another meanings?

Thank you in advance

See above. When you copy and paste text, it can mess up the formatting. In your piece, several spaces were missing between words.

Status
Not open for further replies.