Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
They supported each other and shared the joy and sadness, no doubt sharing recipes and borrowing mops.

Is this underlined "no doubt" natural to a native in this sentence? Does it mean "let alone" in this case?

Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They supported each other and shared the joy and sadness, no doubt sharing recipes and borrowing mops.

Is this underlined "no doubt" natural to a native in this sentence? Does it mean "let alone" in this case?

Thanks
'No doubt' is not unnatural. It simply means that the writer has no doubt about what follows. S/he cannot state for a fact they they did these things, but is certain in his/her mind that they did. This is not the same as 'let alone'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Let alone" is normally used in a more negative way.

- Are you suggesting that I ask my dad if I can borrow the car? You must be joking. He wouldn't let me borrow his pen let alone his car!"

jasonlulu_2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
thank you, but what I REALLY want to know whether no doubt can be followed by verb-ing form.

I know we usually use "no doubt" as follows.

There is no doubt about that.

There is no doubt that he is right.

How could "They supported each other and shared the joy and sadness, no doubt sharing recipes and borrowing mops. "?

thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
thank you, but what I REALLY want to know is whether no doubt can be followed by averb-ing form.
Then you should have made that clear in your original post. I know something about phonology and grammar, but I am not very good at mind-reading.

"They supported each other and shared the joy and sadness, no doubt sharing recipes and borrowing mops."

The verb forms are independent of the 'no doubt'. We could place this expression, which reflects the speaker's certainty, at the end of the clause, or replace it with 'probably, 'possibly', which similarly reflect the speaker's (degree of) certainty.

jasonlulu_2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
OK. Got it! I should have made it clearer.

Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.