Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
United States
a) "Let's split the work."
b) "Let's split up the work."

Could both be the same, or is one more correct than the other?

J

J&K Tutoring

Kinda depends on the work. "Split the work" feels like a 50-50 division into two parts (possibly more), while "Split up the work" might fit better if it's impossible to do half-half or if it's more efficient to assign certain tasks completely to one party and other tasks totally to another person or group.

For example, if we're at a restaurant, and we say, "Let's split the bill", that would mean each diner would pay an equal share of the aggregate total. If we say, "Let's split up the bill", then that might mean that one person pays for the food and someone else pays for the drinks.

Either way, it would require some further explanation for all parties to perfectly understand.

Samantha293

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
United States
Suppose in the original example, the intent was to have several people do the work instead of one person, so the work would be completed sooner. How would "split the work" and "split up the work" be different (or similar)?

J

J&K Tutoring

Again, it depends on the work. If, for instance, 'the work' consisted of stuffing 500 envelopes and there were five people, then you could say, "Let's split the work- 100 each", whereas, if the work consisted of stuffing envelopes, arranging seating, getting supplies, etc., then you might instead say, "Let's split this up. Tom, you are in charge of stuffing the envelopes. Jane, you arrange the seating, and I'll take care of getting supplies."

I'll add that personally, I will most often use split to refer to an equal division into two parts, and split up if there will be three or more divisions or I might say, "Let's split this four ways."

Just to confuse you a little more, when a couple are no longer together, we refer to them as having 'Split Up'... :roll:

Samantha293

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
United States
"split something" = "separate something into equal parts"
"split up something" = "separate something into (possibly) unequal parts"

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please stop deleting and re-posting your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.