[Grammar] Please help me with following questions.I will be thankful to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I came across these few sentences and I think these have some mistakes.Kindly corroborate it. (Disclaimer:-This is not my homework.)

1:-"Nobody should try to disturb me",the doctor said to his assistant.

I think that due to "inversion",the sentence should be like this:-"Nobody should try to disturb me",said the doctor to his assistant.
Please tell me :- Are both the sentences correct and if not then which one is correct? If both are correct,does they have any difference in meaning?

2:-He was very tired of work,so he said that he was sorry to accompany us.

I think that as he have not accompanied us due to his tiredness,the sentence should be :-He was very tired of work,so he said that he was sorry not to accompany us.

Please tell me :- Are both the sentences correct and if not then which one is correct? If both are correct,does they have any difference in meaning?

3:-He never liked to treat his brothers friendly.

I think that friendly being an adjective should not be used(Am I right with this?).Instead of adjective, adverb "in friendly manner" should be used like this:-He never liked to treat his brothers in a friendly manner.

Thank you in advance.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Only ask one question per thread.

For your first question, the answer is that either way is correct and mean the same thing.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sahil, as Dave said, please ask unrelated questions in separate threads, with a title relevant to each — such as He was very tired of work and He never liked to treat his brothers friendly.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Here is what some authorities say:

1. "You are beautiful," Tom said.
2. "You are beautiful," said Tom.
3. "You are beautiful," he said.

4. "You are beautiful," said he.

According to the website "Fiction Writers' Mentor," #1 -3 are fine. Use the one that sounds right to you.

According to two authorities on the World Wide Web, #4 is "archaic, pretentious, artificial, and old-fashioned."

By the way, those "said" sentences are called dialogue tags.

James

P.S. Credit for the comments on #4 goes to Tracy Culleton and Leslie Edgerton.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sahil, as Dave said, please ask unrelated questions in separate threads, with a title relevant to each — such as He was very tired of work and He never liked to treat his brothers friendly.

Next time,I will definitely keep this thing in mind but for the time being please help me with the questions as such.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry, but no.

There are three reasons why we want you to ask unrelated questions in separate threads:

1. You'll get quicker answers. Somebody might want to answer one of the questions but have neither the time nor knowledge to answer all of them.

2. Somebody may answer one question, ignoring the others. This means you will probably have to post again saying 'What about the other questions?'

3. Somebody may answer two or more questions. You may have a supplementary question about one answer and somebody else may suggest an alternative answer to the other — whilst a third person may respond to your follow-up question on the first answer and a fourth person may then respond to a previously unanswered question. When different people start to discuss different questions — each possibly generating alternatives and follow-ups — the thread soon begins to get hopelessly muddled and out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.