Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Gurus, I am new to this forum as a registered user though I have been visiting it for last 6 months or so.

While learning linking words in English, I came across following two practice questions in my learning material.

1- The weather of Bangladesh was terrible. ___, we decided to delay our trip to Dhaka.
a. Subsequently b. Besides c. Therefore

2- _____ the literacy rate of City A increased dramatically in the first quarter, it decreased sharply in the second quarter.
a. Though b. Instead c. However

In the first question, I believe "a" is the correct word but "c" seems to be equally correct in the sentence. Similarly, in the second question, "a" is the correct one but "c" equally seems to be a fit in there.

Please help.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Gurus, I am new to this forum as a registered user though I have been visiting it for last 6 months or so.

While learning linking words in English, I came across following two practice questions in my learning material.

1- The weather of Bangladesh was terrible. ___, we decided to delay our trip to Dhaka.

2- _____ the literacy rate of City A increased dramatically in the first quarter, it decreased sharply in the second quarter.

In the first question, I believe "a" is the correct word but "c" seems to be equally correct in the sentence. Similarly, in the second question, "a" is the correct one but "c" equally seems to be a fit in there.

Please help.

I agree about #1, and actually prefer C. I don't agree about #2. A is the only possible answer.

shanghailuv

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I agree about #1, and actually prefer C. I don't agree about #2. A is the only possible answer.

Thanks Mike for the response.

Would it make any difference, if I change the sequence of the clauses for #2 in following way?
2- It decreased sharply in the second quarter, _____ the literacy rate of City A increased dramatically in the first quarter.

I am thinking that "c" would be a good fit here. Please advise.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Would it make any difference [no comma] if I changed the sequence of the clauses for #2 in the following way?

2- It decreased sharply in the second quarter. However, the literacy rate of City A increased dramatically in the first quarter.

I am thinking that "c" would be a good fit here. Only if you make the punctuation changes shown.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
c. "Therefore" is the only correct response. "Consequently" could work, but "subsequently" is wrong. The decision to delay the trip occurred at the same time that the weather was terrible. If the decision was made "subsequent" to the weather being terrible (ie. when the weather was no longer terrible), a different decision might have been made.
Perhaps the exam-setter had 'consequently' in mind.

shanghailuv

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks Ray and Rover. Real neat and clean answers.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You're welcome, but a click on the Thank button would have sufficed. It saves everybody's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.