Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

Please let me know if the sentences below are right:

a) Don't extend the lintel of the housebeyond the legal limit otherwise the police will demand a bribe.

b) In your area people have extended their lintels but where I stay the goverment is very stringent about these things.

Regards

Prince Sabharwal

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
a) Don't extend the lintel of the house_beyond the legal limit otherwise the police will demand a bribe.

b) In your area people have extended their lintels but where I stay (do you mean 'live'?) the government is very stringent about these things.

I understand lintel to mean 'a horizontal support across the top of a door or window' (OECD).

What is the lintel of a house?

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I understand lintel to mean 'a horizontal support across the top of a door or window' (OECD).

What is the lintel of a house?

Rover

I imagine it's the lintel over the front door. What intrigues me is where this is true. In the UK there are things called Building Regulations (known colloquially as '[Building] Regs'), which may well put limits on the extent of a lintel, but they are not policed by the Police and bribes aren't involved anyway.

b

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I imagine it's the lintel over the front door. What intrigues me is where this is true. In the UK there are things called Building Regulations (known colloquially as '[Building] Regs'), which may well put limits on the extent of a lintel, but they are not policed by the Police and bribes aren't involved anyway.

b

It's true in India, Bob. I know a man in Rajasthan who had the (illegally constructed) front of his house demolished by the police because he stopped paying the necessary bribes.

Status
Not open for further replies.