Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Thanks. I would like to ask you to give me a few samples with "Wishes and (would have and could have)" If it is possible in British English, because I found lots of examples with "could/would + have" One of them "I wish you would have remembered to take dog out. And I don't know I need to know them or not. Flipsyde http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bQG8v8kTGs song writer uses this phrase "I wonder what would have been would you have been a little angel of sin."

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks. I would like to ask you to give me a few samples with "Wishes and (would have and could have)" If it is possible in British English, because I found lots of examples with "could/would + have" One of them "I wish you would have remembered to take dog out. And I don't know I need to know them or not. Flipsyde Flipsyde - Happy Birthday (With Lyrics) - YouTube song writer uses this phrase "I wonder what would have been would you have been a little angel of sin."

"I wish I would have" is wrong in BrE as 5jj suggested. "I wish I could have" is perfectly fine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think we've stumbled across a BrE vs AmE difference before with this topic. If I remember rightly:

I wish you had walked the dogs. (BrE)
I wish you would have walked the dogs. (AmE)

As far as your original example goes, I echo 5jj's "I wish I hadn't gone with you" (ie I did go with you but now I regret it).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As far as your original example goes, I echo 5jj's "I wish I hadn't gone with you" (ie I did go with you but now I regret it).
And bhai's "I wish I could have gone" means I regret that I was unable to go.

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Thank you teachers! with you help my English is getting better every single second and that's why I love English language!!! :up::up::up: This forum is awesome thing! :cool:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you teachers! With your help my English is getting better every single second and that's why I love the English language!!! :up::up::up: This forum is an awesome thing! :cool:

It's nice to see someone so enthusiastic! I'm sure you will take on board my amendments above just as enthusiastically and have a look at your use (or non-use) of articles.

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
It's nice to see someone so enthusiastic! I'm sure you will take on board my amendments above just as enthusiastically and have a look at your use (or non-use) of articles.

I will, but the problem is that in the Lithuanian language we don't use articles. For example Americans, the British can't easly pronounce an apple etc..., but we can pronounce [an] apple without article and it's easy and I forgot every time put an article I know that sometimes I annoy Englishmen, but please appreciate my attempts.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oh, believe me, we appreciate all efforts and I have read on this forum that in Lithuanian there are no articles. I learnt some Finnish when I was 12 and was very confused by the lack of articles in that language too! However, since you already know that this is an issue with your English, it will be very good for you to look closely at every amendment we make to your posts as, eventually, you will spot a few patterns which will help.

My advice is that if you are in doubt as to whether or not to use the article, use it. It will be right more often than it is wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.