Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

The word haggle bears a negative meaning. Could you please kindly explain are there any positive words that bear the same meaning?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Haggle can be used in a negative sense, meaning 'aargue, disagree, bicker over trivial things' but my first reaction when I read your post was the same as Gillnetter's. For many people in the world, haggling, in the sense Gill explained, is an enjoyable activity.

Dear Gillnetter,
Thank you very much for your explanation.
I read in a book which says all the words I asked bear negative meanings.

Jiang

I have noticed that Mexican merchants will sell for the price quoted but they will feel somehow cheated if the buyer doesn't participate in a bit of bargaining, or haggling. It is the encounter and the testing of skills that is the game.

Why do they feel cheated if the buyers do not bargain? It is, anyway, going to be a profit for them if there is no bargaining.

Why do they feel cheated if the buyers do not bargain? It is, anyway, going to be a profit for them if there is no bargaining.
Bargaining is part of the social ritual of buying and selling in some cultures. OK, they make a bigger profit, but they lose the pleasure of the bargaining.

I read in a book which says all the words I asked bear negative meanings.
Don't believe everything you read in books.

I read that in a book.;-)

Bargaining is part of the social ritual of buying and selling in some cultures. OK, they make a bigger profit, but they lose the pleasure of the bargaining.

Just like some sports people say that "Match was not intresting because we won the match easily".?

Status
Not open for further replies.