Question tag — None of the boys was/were clever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi!
This is a new thread in which we will discuss some problematic sentences that need suitable question tags.
The sentence is:
None of the boys was/were clever,........?
As for me, I think the answer will differ:
None of the boys were clever, were they?
None of the boys was clever, was he?
Thanks in advance!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A funny thing happened when I imagined someone saying None of the boys was clever: I heard it in a Cockney accent. In that dialect, was is commonly used for the third-person plural. I naturally heard was they? as the question tag.

This reinforced my conviction that none is usually plural. Thus, were is the natural choice in both parts of the sentence - unless, perhaps, you're in London.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
This reinforced my conviction that none is usually plural.
Yes, informally [more commonly, indeed] but formally it is used with a singular verb. Shouldn't we apply the subject-verb agreement when it is singular, in formal contexts, by using: "None of the boys was clever, was he?" just as what we did with "Many a man/Every man"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
That's fine. The problem comes when the gender is unknown, as in 'None of the students was clever'. Probably most native speakers would go for 'None of the students were clever, were they?'
I was about to ask about this. Big thanks! :)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This reinforced my conviction that none is usually plural. Thus, were is the natural choice in both parts of the sentence - unless, perhaps, you're in London.

Yes, informally [more commonly, indeed] but formally it is used with a singular verb. Shouldn't we apply the subject-verb agreement when it is singular, in formal contexts, by using: "None of the boys was clever, was he?" just as what we did with "Many a man/Every man"?

Formally or informally, none can be singular or plural. Fusty grammarians tried to limit it to the singular use they had invented for it, but that was the sort of rule up with which the language refused to put. :)

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Formally or informally, none can be singular or plural.
But the Oxford Learner's Dictionary says that a singular verb is used in a formal style inn Br.E.
that was the sort of rule up with which the language refused to put. :)
The words in red are part of a style which is correct but it made me laugh. :)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Formally or informally, none can be singular or plural. Fusty grammarians tried to limit it to the singular use they had invented for it, but that was the sort of rule up with which the language refused to put. :)

But the Oxford Learner's Dictionary says that a singular verb is used in a formal style inn Br.E.

It can be, and a few readers might find fault with a plural usage. The highly-esteemed British journal The Economist persists in avoiding split infinitives, not because they think there's anything wrong with them, but because, as their style guide notes, they receive a flurry of complaints whenever they print one. The plural use of none is in the same category of made-up faults.

Status
Not open for further replies.