Member Type
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello all

Even if you fail in an early round, e.g. the second one, you receive ten points at least.

- Here I was told this wasn´t correct use of the word " at least" at the end of the sentence. Why? I thought at least could be at the beginning or at the end of a sentence without any rule saying otherwise.

The loss of the points is not that crucial if they reach quartefinals or seminals at least.

-
Again this is not correct in opinion of my teacher.

Here are the examples with a correct use of at least:

-Even if you fail in an early round, e.g. the second one, you receive at least ten points. - according to my teacher this is correct position of "at least".

-The loss of the points is not that crucial if they reach quartefinals or at least seminals.

I am confused as I thought I really could use AT LEAST at the beginning or at the end of a sentence? What´m s wrong with my examples please?

Thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, for a start, it's "quarter-finals" and "semi-finals", not "quartefinals" and "seminals".

The logic in your example is wrong. The two rounds could be used the other way round.

"You will receive ten points if you reach the semi-finals, or at least reach the quarter-finals."

Having said that, that doesn't make much more sense. Surely you get more points for reaching the semi-finals than you do for reaching the quarter-finals?

You will receive ten points if you at least reach the quarter-finals. You will receive more points if you make it further in the competition.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
- Here I was told this wasn´t correct use of the word " at least" at the end of the sentence. Why? I thought at least could be at the beginning or at the end of a sentence without any rule saying otherwise

I don't think it's automatically an error to say place it at the end. However, do you receive ten points maximum? If so, I would separate it off with a comma. If you receive a minimum of ten points and could receive more, I would say at least ten points.

Status
Not open for further replies.