Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
grammar (n.)

late 14c., "Latin grammar, rules of Latin," from Old French gramaire "grammar; learning," especially Latin and philology, also "(magic) incantation, spells, mumbo-jumbo" (12c., Modern French grammaire), an "irregular semi-popular adoption" [OED] of Latin grammatica "grammar, philology," perhaps via an unrecorded Medieval Latin form *grammaria. The classical Latin word is from Greek grammatike (tekhnē) "(art) of letters," referring both to philology and to literature in the broadest sense, fem. of grammatikos (adj.) "pertaining to or versed in letters or learning," from gramma "letter" (see -gram). An Old English gloss of it was stæfcræft (see staff (n.)).

https://www.etymonline.com/word/grammar
----------

The blue part is used in the present tense, while the red part is used in the past tense. I wonder why.

Is the writer suggesting that this
classical Latin word still exists?

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Is the writer suggesting that this classical Latin word still exists?

Well, I found this in Wikipedia:

Latin is a classical language belonging to the Italic branch of the Indo-European languages. [...] It is the official language in the Holy See (Vatican City).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin
---------

So yes, this word still exists. :)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The blue part is about the present, right? It talks about the derivation of the word, as it exists now.

The red part is about the past.

It's hard to see what you can't understand about this. Why would you think that Latin doesn't exist?

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The blue part is about the present, right? It talks about the derivation of the word, as it exists now.
I thought that "The classical Latin word" referred to "Latin grammatica", and this Latin word was created and used in the past, so it should have been The classical Latin word was from Greek.

Do you mean that "The classical Latin word" refers to this English word "grammar", which still exists now?

Why would you think that Latin doesn't exist?
I thought that Latin, as well as Old English, has been "dead".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought that Latin, as well as Old English, [STRIKE]has been[/STRIKE] was "dead".
It's a dead language in the sense that nobody in the world has spoken it as their mother tongue for centuries. But there are still millions of people who know it well enough to claim some level of fluency. Old English is known by only a few scholars. The number of people who could claim fluency in it could probably fit into a small lecture hall.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I thought that Latin, as well as Old English, has been "dead".

Thank you for the correction, GoesStation. The red part should have been in line with the blue part in the tense. :oops:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

The red part is about the past.

Do you mean that "The classical Latin word" refers to this English word "grammar", which still exists now?

Am I right in thinking this?

-----------
And the red part:

An Old English gloss of it was stæfcræft (see staff(n.))

I think it means that people used stæfcræft to mean grammar in the Old English times. So it is about the past and "was" is used.

Do I understand it correctly?

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

An Old English gloss of it was stæfcræft (see staff(n.))

I think it means that people used stæfcræft to mean grammar in the Old English times. So it is about the past and "was" is used.

Do I understand it correctly?

I don't know if I understand correctly about the two parts. Could you please tell me? :)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The point is that Old English is dead. Dead dead dead.

Latin, while not anyone's native language, is not completely dead. It is only mostly dead. Most English speakers recognize at least some Latin words, like "et cetera." Educated English speakers use and recognize many Latin phrases. We had a whole scandal recently about "quid pro quo," for example.

So Latin words are. Old English words were.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It really does not matter whether Latin or Old English is dead. That's not the point. Being dead simply means that people don't speak it as a first language any more.

The point is that when we study it, it is very much alive, and present as an object of study. We say that the Latin word for 'grammar' is (not was) 'grammatike'. It's no different for Old English.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
grammar (n.)

late 14c., "Latin grammar, rules of Latin," from Old French gramaire "grammar; learning," especially Latin and philology, also "(magic) incantation, spells, mumbo-jumbo" (12c., Modern French grammaire), an "irregular semi-popular adoption" [OED] of Latin grammatica "grammar, philology," perhaps via an unrecorded Medieval Latin form *grammaria. The classical Latin word is from Greek grammatike (tekhnē) "(art) of letters," referring both to philology and to literature in the broadest sense, fem. of grammatikos (adj.) "pertaining to or versed in letters or learning," from gramma "letter" (see -gram). An Old English gloss of it was stæfcræft (see staff (n.)).

The point is that when we study it, it is very much alive, and present as an object of study. We say that the Latin word for 'grammar' is (not was) 'grammatike'. It's no different for Old English.

1. Did you mean to say We say that the Latin word for 'grammar' is (not was) from (Greek) 'grammatike'?

2. Do you mean this?

When we study the Latin word for 'grammar', it is very much alive, and present as an object of study, so we use "is (not was)". And we don't focus on its Old English form at this moment, so we can simply use "was", which means stæfcræft existed in the past - we don't study it for now.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. No. I was translating.

2. Very loosely, yes.

Remember what I've said before about using present and past tenses. If the writer uses a present tense, he imagines the thing as present, and if he uses the past tense, he imagines it as past. In this case, the writer wanted to focus on the use of the the Old English gloss as a thing of the past. It's simple. You don't have to worry about why.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you, jutfrank. :)

Remember what I've said before about using present and past tenses.

I assume that present and past tenses means present tense and past tense, rather than present tenses and past tenses.

Am I right in thinking this?

(Rethink: maybe it means present tenses and past tenses. :-?)

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
If the writer uses a present tense, he imagines the thing as present, and if he uses the past tense, he imagines it as past.

I can't tell why [/FONT]If the writer uses a present tense, but if he uses the past tense. Could you help me?

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
present and past tenses

(Rethink: maybe it means present tenses and past tenses.)

I think that my understanding could be accurate. What do you think?

I can't tell why If the writer uses a present tense, but if he uses the past tense. Could you help me?

GoesStation:

I was thinking of phrases in general. I'd have used the definite article if I'd been thinking of the phrase such as.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...other-person?p=1599437&viewfull=1#post1599437

-----
Can I apply this reply to my question here?

(In general) If the writer uses a present tense, he imagines the thing as present, and (in a specific case) if he uses the past tense, he imagines it as past.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(Rethink: maybe it means present tenses and past tenses.)

GoesStation:

I was thinking of phrases in general. I'd have used the definite article if I'd been thinking of the phrase such as.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...other-person?p=1599437&viewfull=1#post1599437

-----
Can I apply this reply to my question here?

(In general) If the writer uses a present tense, he imagines the thing as present, and (in a specific case) if he uses the past tense, he imagines it as past.

I have tried my best to think about the two questions. Could someone please help me? :-?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If the writer uses a present tense, he imagines the thing as present, and if he uses a past tense, he imagines it as past.

There. Correction.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I assume that present and past tenses means present tense and past tense, rather than present tenses and past tenses.

(Rethink: maybe it means present tenses and past tenses. )

Thank you very much, jutfrank. :)

If you don't mind, could you please tell me about this one?

Having a guide by a teacher or a experienced native speaker is blissful.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Having a guide by a teacher or a experienced native speaker is blissful.

Okay, how could I deny you such bliss? :)

What do you want to know? Ask again because I've lost the thread of what you're thinking.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Remember what I've said before about using present and past tenses.

:)

Does the blue part mean present (tenses) and past tenses (rather than present tense and past tense)?

I mean, present tenses and past tenses can be simplified as present and past tenses, and present tense and past tense can be simplified as present and past tense.

Am I right?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. Yes.