Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
What does "A Looming Conspiracy"means?. And what about "looming"?.Is it noun or adjective or verb or...?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What does "A Looming Conspiracy"mean?. And what about "looming"?.Is it noun or adjective or verb or...?
The verb "to loom" in this sense means "to hang over in a threatening manner". "Looming" is acting as an adjective describing the nature of the conspiracy.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
The verb "to loom" in this sense means "to hang over in a threatening manner". "Looming" is acting as an adjective describing the nature of the conspiracy.
Thank you. Can you explain more about this suffix "ing"?. All I heard about "ing" is that it's used to form a noun suffix or verb suffix.I think the above "looming" adjective is derived from the noun "loom" (I read about this on Merriam dictionary.) and not verb "loom".I've tried some verbs to make them adjective by adding the suffix" ing" ,but ending up with nouns. The only another example I could find in the dictionary was "swashbuckling ". So do you think there is any general rule to be applied to make such an adjective?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you. Can you explain more about this suffix "ing"?. All I heard about "ing" is that it's used to form a noun suffix or verb suffix.I think the above "looming" adjective is derived from the noun "loom" (I read about this on Merriam dictionary.) and not verb "loom".I've tried some verbs to make them adjective by adding the suffix" ing" ,but ending up with nouns. The only another example I could find in the dictionary was "swashbuckling ". So do you think there is any general rule to be applied to make such an adjective?
What makes you think that it's derived from the noun "loom", do you think it's referring to a conspiracy of weavers or weaving?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What makes you think that it's derived from the noun "loom", do you think it's referring to a conspiracy of weavers or weaving?

"There's alway been a threat looming over us." What about this sentence?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Many present participles can be used as adjectives- boring/interesting, etc. There are two suffixes -ing- the gerund and the present participle. The latter is used after the verb be to make progressive forms- I was coming to school, etc. This form can often be turned into an adjective.

BTW I don't see any reason to suppose that looming is derived from the noun loom.

Status
Not open for further replies.