Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
What is "BS button"? I Googled and found "bullshit button" but not sure if they are the same. If "BS button" = "bullshit button," then what does that mean?

I read that term from the paragraph below:
"I was born with a very sensitive BS button, and anytime a client presents an advertisement, website,
TV program, or other presentation that smacks of insincerity, I light up."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What is "BS button"? I Googled and found "bullshit button" but not sure if they are the same. If "BS button" = "bullshit button," then what does that mean?

I read that term from the paragraph below:
"I was born with a very sensitive BS button, and anytime a client presents an advertisement, website,
TV program, or other presentation that smacks of insincerity, I light up."
I think the example is self-explanatory: "I was born with a very sensitive BS button - it lights up when I detect BS"
Are you having trouble equating ads, websites and presentations that smack of insincerity as BS?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the example is self-explanatory: "I was born with a very sensitive BS button - it lights up when I detect BS"
Are you having trouble equating ads, websites and presentations that smack of insincerity as BS?

A "BS button" in that context would be a personal characteristic that can easily sense when something is not completely true or, as in your example, is "insincere". "Bulls***" is a common, vulgar reference to something someone believes to be untrue.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Incidentally, I don't know how current the phrase 'BS button' is. It obviously, given the context, means what Raymott has said. But 'BS guage/meter/sensor/antenna...' would make more sense.

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Incidentally, I don't know how current the phrase 'BS button' is. It obviously, given the context, means what Raymott has said. But 'BS guage/meter/sensor/antenna...' would make more sense.

b
I guess it comes from, "She knows how to push my buttons" and similar phrases. Hence one of our buttons is a BS button.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

b

"BS detector" would be my phrase.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I guess it comes from, "She knows how to push my buttons" and similar phrases. Hence one of our buttons is a BS button.
:up: Very probably, it seems to me. The detector is wired to the button and makes it light up - as on a pin-ball machine. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.