Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi sir,

Please suggest me the correct answer for the below question:

______ short poems in the volume show signs of genius. (A few/ The few)
According to me it should be 'The few' as what ever the short poem is there in the volume, so it should be 'the few'.
But the answer is 'A few'. if the answer i.e. 'A few' is correct, please explain. Thanks in advance.

N.B. Question is taken from Wren & Martin.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If there are not many poems in the volume and they all show signs of genius, then it's "the few". If there are more than a few, and only some show signs of genius, then it's "a few".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If there are not many short poems in the volume and they all show signs of genius, then it's "the few". If there are more than a few, and only some show signs of genius, then it's "a few".
I'd add the above amendment for clarity. There may be many long poems in the volume, but it's only the short poems which are in question.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd add the above amendment for clarity. There may be many long poems in the volume, but it's only the short poems which are in question.
I agree. I should have said that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi sir,

Please suggest [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] the correct answer for the below question:

______ short poems in the volume show signs of genius. (A few/ The few)
According to me it should be 'The few' as what ever the short poem is there in the volume, so it should be 'the few'.
But the answer is 'A few'. if the answer i.e. 'A few' is correct, please explain. Thanks in advance.

N.B. Question is taken from Wren & Martin.

Remember that "Please suggest me" is not correct. You can say:

- Please suggest an answer. (This is the most common.)
- Please suggest an answer to me.
- Please suggest an answer for me.

enggeek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

That means, if all the short poems in the volume are sign of genius then we should use "The few" else "A few".

So in similar fashion for the question " _____ Americans have their offices in mumbai." if the all the Americans (few) who have office, are in mumbai then we can say "The Few" else "A few". is the conclusion correct?

Thanks in advance.

enggeek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
That means, if all the short poems in the volume are sign of genius then we should use "The few" else "A few".

So in similar fashion for the question " _____ Americans have their offices in mumbai." if the all the Americans (few) who have office, are in mumbai then we can say "The Few" else "A few". is the conclusion correct?

Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thanks in advance.

No.

Few Americans have their offices in Mumbai = Not very many Americans have their offices in Mumbai.

A few Americans have their offices in Mumbai = Not very many Americans have their offices in Mumbai.

The few Americans have their offices in Mumbai - this only makes sense if it is preceded by some other information involving those same "few Americans". For example, "There are a million Australians, half a million New Zealanders but only four Americans living in India. The Australians and New Zealanders have their offices in Chennai. The few Americans have their offices in Mumbai."

Status
Not open for further replies.