Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Germany
Hello!

English is a second language to me and I've been trying to improve the ease and clarity of pronunciation using tongue twisters. They have helped me over the course of a couple days, but my question is if tongue twisters would still give me extra benefits in terms of being able to speak English fast & with clarity and ease if I trained them over months and years.

With clarity, I mean that people can easily understand me. With ease, I mean not having to consciously think of how to pronounce certain words or sounds when speaking, but rather them coming naturally.

Thanks.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It will help you if you have someone who can listen and tell you if your pronunciation is right or not. If you keep repeating a tongue twister over and over again with incorrect pronunciation, there's a danger that you will cement that pronunciation in your mind and it will become more difficult to change it in future.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It will help you if you have someone who can listen and tell you if your pronunciation is right or not. If you keep repeating a tongue twister over and over again with incorrect pronunciation, there's a danger that you will cement that pronunciation in your mind and it will become more difficult to change it in future.

That's a very good point. In the Polish tongue-twister I linked to above, I discovered a few years ago that I'd been pronouncing trzcinie as if it were spelled "trzczinie" since I first learned it in my childhood. (Its correct pronunciation is even harder than my incorrect one, even though there's one less letter.) It took some time to overcome the error. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.