Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
A: I had a great conversation.

B: I too had a great conversation.

Is that the position of too is correct if I want to mean that the conversation is great to me as well?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There, or more commonly, at the end.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There, or more commonly, at the end.

Then what if I want to say I had a good dinner, I had a good time and I had a great conversation too?

I mean that great conversation is one of thing I had in addition to the others. So, the position of too at the end would be appropriate in this case.

But in Original Post, I want to say that I am also the one who enjoyed the conversation in addition to you.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I want to say that I am also the one who enjoyed the conversation in addition to you.

NOT A TEACHER

"I, too, play tennis" refers to the subject. = My friend plays tennis and I play tennis, too/as well.

"The use of too, directly after the subject, is formal and the end position is generally preferred, especially in

informal speech."

Source: Longman English Grammar (1988) by L.G. Alexander.

NOTES:

1. In 2012, many people no longer use a comma in front of "too" if it comes at the end of the sentence.

2. If "too" comes immediately after the subject, I am pretty sure that most people would prefer to set off

(isolate) "too" with two commas, but no doubt there are people who would avoid commas there, too!

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had a good dinner, I had a good time and I had a great conversation too.

I am very interested in David's sentence. Would someone tell us what "too" refers to in that sentence?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am very interested in David's sentence. Would someone tell us what "too" refers to in that sentence?

Thank you.

It means "Not only did I have a good dinner and a good time, but I also enjoyed good conversation (in addition to the two other good things)".

Status
Not open for further replies.