Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi everyone,

I recently composed a few short essays for my my TESOL classes and I had them proofread by a professional proofreader based in Cambridge. He made a few changes to my writing. However, I do not quite understand why he has made the following change...

(The topic of my essay: animal testing)

My original sentence: In other words, if animals were not available, we would not have any new treatments or drugs, and scientists would have to test in humans and kill unnecessarily.

The proofreader changed it to: In other words, if animals were not available, we would not have any new treatments or drugs, or scientists would have to test in humans and kill unnecessarily.

Could anyone help me out on this? IS my original sentence wrong? Or is it just not as good as the latter sentence? Do I have to use 'or' here to link the two sentences? I am so confused.

Thanks very much!!!

Ali Hsn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello!

*I AM NOT A TEACHER OR NATIVE.*

To me, both of the sentences are correct and meaningful but the meaning they convey are a little different.
"And" in your sentence paves the way for talking about a consequence while "or" in the second sentence addresses a choice.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would use "or" in your sentence. When you use "and" you are proposing that both statements are true. But the meaning of your sentence is that we would not have any new drugs unless scientists do the testing in human patients. That is covered better by "or", Either we test drugs on humans or we won't have any new drugs.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I would use "or" in your sentence. When you use "and" you are proposing that both statements are true. But the meaning of your sentence is that we would not have any new drugs unless scientists do the testing in human patients. That is covered better by "or", Either we test drugs on humans or we won't have any new drugs.

Hello.:-D
The topic is about "animal testing".
The underlined part should be "unless scientists do the testing on animals", shouldn't it?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
(The topic of my essay: animal testing)

My original sentence: In other words, if animals were not available, we would not have any new treatments or drugs, and scientists would have to test in humans and kill unnecessarily.

The proofreader changed it to: In other words, if animals were not available, we would not have any new treatments or drugs, or scientists would have to test in humans and kill unnecessarily.
It's more a matter of logic than English.
If the proposition or argument that you are making is "If we are to have new drugs (X), then scientists must test on animals (Y) or scientists must test on humans (Z)" (If X, then [Y OR Z]), then this translates to "If [not-Y], then [not-X OR not-Z]".
Your sentence translates as If "[not-Y], then [not-X AND Z]. Simpy, it's not logical. But this isn't a logic forum, so I'll try to explain in English, which is probably more complicated.

1. It is not true that, if animals were not available we 1) would not have any new treatments AND 2) scientists would have to test humans.
2. It is true that, if animals were not available we EITHER 1) would not have any new treatments OR 2) scientists would have to test humans.
1. is not true because the absence of animals to test only means one of the following - we either go without new drugs OR scientists have to test on humans. 2. is true because only one of the conclusions is a necessary result of not having animals. If [not-Y], then [not-X OR not-Z].
Other logical conclusions can be derived from the original premises:
If X, then [Y OR Z] ->
If [not-Y AND not-Z], then not-X. (If scientists can't test on animals AND scientists can't test on humans, then we won't have new drugs.

Yes, English isn't always logical, but you have presented a logical argument in that form, and your argument is invalid.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. If it were not permissible to test on animals, then scientists would need to test on humans.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The underlined part should be "unless scientists do the testing on animals", shouldn't it?
No, you have to read the whole sentence.

seaview2007

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I got your point! Thanks very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.