Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I found this expression several times recently, "I/You don't have much further to go." First of all, "much further" is grammatically vague to me. Is it adverb or a kind of noun in this sentence? Then, I'm not sure whether its meaning is equal to "I/You don't need to go much further" or "I/You don't have a long way to go." I posted one example below I found on the Internet. In this case it's part of a song.

Another place again
You and my loneliness speak now
I realize
I don't have much further to go

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I found this expression several times recently, "I/You don't have much further to go." First of all, "much further" is grammatically vague to me. Is it adverb or a kind of noun in this sentence? Then, I'm not sure whether its meaning is equal to "I/You don't need to go much further" or "I/You don't have a long way to go." I posted one example below I found on the Internet. In this case it's part of a song.

Another place again
You and my loneliness speak now
I realize

Both "much" and "further" are adverbs there. "Much" modifies "further'.

It means "you don't have a long way to go".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

mogu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for your input. If "much" and "further" are both adverbs, what is the object of "have"? I'd like to know more grammatical explanations on it if you can. Is it possible to consider the last two words "to go" can be the object in this case? I'm not sure about that.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your input. If "much" and "further" are both adverbs, what is the object of "have"? I'd like to know more grammatical explanations on it if you can. Is it possible to consider the last two words "to go" can be the object in this case? I'm not sure about that.

If you consider "have to" to be a phrasal verb, then "go" (a bare infinitive) is the object of "have to"; if you don't, then "to go" is then object of "have". As you can see, there is little difference.

mogu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for the prompt reply. I really appreciate it. Your explanation endorses my initial guess about this matter, of which I was uncertain. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.