Student or Learner
Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi,

When we begin a sentence with 'titles' like 'teamwork', facebook etc, do we need to put 'a' before them?

For example,

(A) Facebook is popular today among youngsters.'

(A)Teamwork is very important.

It is called as (a) group work.

thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,

When we begin a sentence with 'titles' like 'teamwork', facebook etc, do we need to put 'a' before them?

For example,

(A) Facebook is popular today among youngsters.'

(A)Teamwork is very important.

It is called as (a) group work.

thanks.
No, if you put the indefinite article in front of "Facebook", you are implying that there are several "Facebooks" and one of them is popular. "Teamwork" is uncountable and doesn't take an article.

sebayanpendam

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
No, if you put the indefinite article in front of "Facebook", you are implying that there are several "Facebooks" and one of them is popular. "Teamwork" is uncountable and doesn't take an article.

Thanks for the reply.

Could you explain the indefinite article + 'Facebook' a bit more, please? I heard some people say "I have a facebook". Why not 'the Facebook' like the horse has four legs or horses have four legs.

Sorry if my questions bother you.

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the reply.

Could you explain the indefinite article + 'Facebook' a bit more, please? I heard some people say "I have a facebook". Why not 'the Facebook' like the horse has four legs or horses have four legs.

Sorry if my questions bother you.

Thanks.

What people should be saying is "I am on Facebook" or "I have a Facebook page", or even "I have Facebook". In the second example, you need to use the indefinite article because you are talking about "a page". However, as the previous responder said, there is only one Facebook, therefore you would not use "a Facebook". Whoever you have heard saying "I have a Facebook" may be using it colloquially but it is not grammatically correct.

sebayanpendam

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi,

When you mention about only Facebook being the one and only, is it not the same like the sun and internet. Both require 'the' to precede them, right? What about Facebook? Does it not require 'the' simply because it is like a proper name such as Daniel or something?

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

When you mention about only Facebook being the one and only, is it not the same like the sun and internet. Both require 'the' to precede them, right? What about Facebook? Does it not require 'the' simply because it is like a proper name such as Daniel or something?

Thanks.

Facebook is, indeed, a proper noun. The sun and the internet are not, they do not require a capital letter and therefore can take a definite article.

Status
Not open for further replies.