[General] Need to get the usage of the world in advanced English. How Can I improve that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Marathi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Need to get the usage of the world in advanced English. How Can I improve that ?

Is there any site which I can refer and will guide me on the path.

Please help.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think he means, "I need to understand the usage of advanced World English."
If that is the case,
Madankar.Mukta, you want to learn proper English, like most learners here. You could try reading world news in English language newspapers.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I Googled "world english." The most helpful article I found was in Wikipedia, which says that ". . . there is no consensus on the path to this goal. There have been many proposals for making International English more accessible to people from different nationalities. Basic English is an example, but it failed to make progress. . . ."

So today, world English doesn't exist, and my sense is that it never will. That suggests that it's better to just study English and let grandiose English lovers fend for themselves.

Or in short: there's no such thing as world English.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Interesting! It kind of blows the British/American binary system out of the water, doesn't it? I've often thought that there are as many Englishes as there are people who speak it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Being an Aussie, I've always had a healthy contempt for the over-emphasis on the binary British/American concept!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Being an American, it's always bemused me that every English-speaking person in the world is expected to use British English except Americans.

Maybe y'all have just given up on us!

(The terms y'all, yous, and yiz were devised by enterprising Americans responding to the English-speaking world's desparate longing for a plural second-person pronoun.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
English classes around the world are typically offered in one or both of two varieties, British and American. This is appropriate as the overwhelming majority of Anglophones speak one of the two.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There is far more variation within British English and American English than there are differences between them, as far as I can tell. Unless there are specific vocabulary and minor spelling differences, it's difficult to tell where an educated person writing on this forum is from. The grammar is very similar, and discussions here about preferences do not always split along regional lines. Is this post written in British or American?
An over-emphasis on this distinction has some learners assuming that if a post gets two replies which disagree, and if one reply is from an American and one from a Briton, then it must be a BrE/AmE thing, rather than two native English speakers who simply disagree for unrelated reasons.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
English classes around the world are typically offered in one or both of two varieties, British and American. This is appropriate as the overwhelming majority of Anglophones speak one of the two.

Good to know! I also like Raymott's comment about variations.

Good thread.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Marathi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am sorry, it should have been the way - "Need to get the usage of the "specific word" in advanced English. How Can I improve that ?

For e.g. the use of the word "start" - there are multiple synonyms for the word "start", How can I improve in usage of those ?

I hope this is correct now.

Status
Not open for further replies.