Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can it be that these people are actually honest after all?

This sentence comes from Collins Cobuild Usage. The Chinese translation for this sentence is something like 'Are these people really honest?', expressing doubt on 'these people's honesty'. But I would think that the speaker means 'Maybe it is possible that these people are actually honest, which we didn't expect before'. Am I right?

Another question: Can we put 'after all' at the beginning, or insert it in the middle, of the question without changing the meaning?

Thank you in advance.

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher

This sentence comes from Collins Cobuild Usage. The Chinese translation for this sentence is something like 'Are these people really honest?', expressing doubt on 'these people's honesty'. But I would think that the speaker means 'Maybe it is possible that these people are actually honest, which we didn't expect before'. Am I right?
Yes.

Another question: Can we put 'after all' at the beginning, or insert it in the middle, of the question without changing the meaning?
You can put it at the beginning, but then it has a different meaning. Instead of "the conclusion I just stated was unexpected," it means, "the conclusion I am about to draw is a predictable summary of what came before."

Example: I had never trusted those people, but then one of them returned my lost wallet with all the money still inside. Can it be that these people are honest after all?

We should focus on our similarities, not our differences. In each group, there are good people and bad people, and we do ourselves and each other no favors with prejudice. After all, we all really belong to just one race: the human race.

As for putting it in the middle, there are a few places it could go, and it would mean the same as putting it at the end, but it would sound more awkward that way.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Thank you in advance.

“After all” is an adverb, So it can used as a connecting adverb when it can be placed at beginning of a clause to emphasize the idea “something to be considered”; as:
After all, she is your boss, so invite her.
or at the end, to emphasize the idea “in spite of all expectations”; as:
It didn't rain after all.
We decided to take the train after all.
And in the middle to emphasize the idea “ultimately”, and it immediacy proceeds the adjective it modifies; as:
He is after all our president.
A car is after all a means of transportation

In the example question it is used to as a connecting adverb. There appears no place availble in the middle. It can either be placed at the beginning or end but assicited with a change in meaning

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.