Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi A:Would you like to sleep on it a little longer, or are you ready to make this decision?", B:I've slept enough. Or the lack of sleep"
What does the speaker B mean? Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi A:Would you like to sleep on it a little longer, or are you ready to make this decision?", B:I've slept enough. Or the lack of sleep"
What does the speaker B mean? Thank you!

It's not very good English but the second person probably means that the decision has been keeping them awake at night so the phrase "to sleep on it" probably isn't very apt in this situation.

yanx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's not very good English but the second person probably means that the decision has been keeping them awake at night so the phrase "to sleep on it" probably isn't very apt in this situation.
Thanks for your explanation, but in my way of understanding the above sentences, I think that the interviewer was asking if he had been ready to make this decision. The problem for me is the sentence B. Why the person said "I've slept enough" and then said he was lack of sleep? Thanks!

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.:-D
I think emsr2d2 is saying something like this:
B: I've slept (on it) enough. Or (=In other words) the lack of sleep.

Well, it is just a guess.

yanx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello.:-D
I think emsr2d2 is saying something like this:
B: I've slept (on it) enough. Or (=In other words) the lack of sleep.

Well, it is just a guess.
Thanks! I understand now!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think that person B had a bit of a rethink. Initially he said that he had slept on it enough (ie, yes, he had come to a decision). Then he realised that actually in coming to that decision he hadn't slept very much at all so he said "Or [perhaps I should say] lack of sleep!"

It's actually very badly worded because saying "I've slept enough" where sleep is used as a verb, and then following it with "lack of sleep" where it's used as a noun doesn't really work. It would have been better if he had said "I've had enough sleep [to come to a decision]. Or rather I've had enough lack of sleep!"

In order to make some kind of almost-pun on "to sleep on it" he would have to have said something like "I've slept on it enough. Or should I say "I've not slept on it!"?"

yanx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think that person B had a bit of a rethink. Initially he said that he had slept on it enough (ie, yes, he had come to a decision). Then he realised that actually in coming to that decision he hadn't slept very much at all so he said "Or [perhaps I should say] lack of sleep!"

It's actually very badly worded because saying "I've slept enough" where sleep is used as a verb, and then following it with "lack of sleep" where it's used as a noun doesn't really work. It would have been better if he had said "I've had enough sleep [to come to a decision]. Or rather I've had enough lack of sleep!"

In order to make some kind of almost-pun on "to sleep on it" he would have to have said something like "I've slept on it enough. Or should I say "I've not slept on it!"?"
Oh! Thanks very much for your detailed explanation!

Status
Not open for further replies.