Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi,
I noticed that english people use "it's time to" or" time to", I belive, in the same way. Is it correct or is there a rule?
Thank you

Hi,
I noticed that English speakers [strike]people[/strike] use "it's time to" or "time to", I believe, in the same way. Is it correct or is there a rule?
Thank you.

See my corrections above.

Please give us complete sentences to consider, using "it's time to" and "time to".

In the song Time To Say Goodbye, both forms are used. The first form is just a shorter form commonly used in informal English at the beginning of an utterance.

Hi,
I noticed that english people use "it's time to" or" time to", I belive, in the same way. Is it correct or is there a rule?
Thank you

Thank you :)
For example:
It's time to make a move/go etc

Time to make a move/go etc

---------------------------------------------
utfrank
Re: time to vs it's time to
In the song Time To Say Goodbye, both forms are used. The first form is just a shorter form commonly used in informal English at the beginning of an utterance.​
Could i use it also at the middle of an utterance?

thank you

In the song Time To Say Goodbye, both forms are used. The first form is just a shorter form commonly used in informal English at the beginning of an utterance.

Exactly. "It's" is unspoken but understood.

Could I use it also in the middle of an utterance?

Thank you.

Yes.

"Utterance" is correct but not natural. We would be more likely to say "sentence" or "statement" or "phrase."

You're welcome!

Could I use it also at the middle of an [strike]utterance[/strike] sentence?

Thank you.

Again, please give an example sentence, using it in the middle.

Note my corrections above. Start every sentence with a capital letter, always capitalise "I", and end every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.

(Cross-posted with Charlie Bernstein.)

Again, please give an example sentence, using it in the middle.

Note my corrections above. Start every sentence with a capital letter, always capitalise "I", and end every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.

(Cross-posted with Charlie Bernstein.)

Thank You,
For example: "Hey, It's 5 o'clock: time to go!. It's late"

Thank you.
For example, "Hey, it's 5 o'clock; time to go! (no full stop here) It's late."

Note my corrections above.

The colon you used after "o'clock" was incorrect. You need either a semi-colon (as I have added) or a full stop. If you use a full stop, it would then be "Time to go."

Note my corrections above.

The colon you used after "o'clock" was incorrect. You need either a semi-colon (as I have added) or a full stop. If you use a full stop, it would then be "Time to go."

Thank you. So, if i say:
"Hey, it's 5 o'clock; time to go! It's late." Is it correct?

I was not able to express my question clewrly.
Is in this sentence correct the use of "time to"?

Is there any difference between (in terms of use) American english and British english? Or is just a question of preference?
Thanks

I was not able to express my question clearly.
Is the use of "time to" correct in this sentence? [strike]correct the use of "time to"?[/strike]

Is there any difference [strike]between[/strike] (in terms of use) between American English and British English or is just a question of preference?
Thanks.

Yes, it was used correctly there. If it hadn't been, I would have indicated that the first time.

Sometimes, in the middle of a sentence/utterance, it's better to use the full form, just to be clear. Try saying the following two phrases and decide which one sounds better:

Call me when it's time to go.
Call me when time to go.

That's why I advise you to use the full form, unless it appears at the beginning of an utterance.(It's the same for all varieties of English.)

Yes.

"Utterance" is correct but not natural. We would be more likely to say "sentence" or "statement" or "phrase."

You're welcome!
You're right, of course, in general, but in linguistics texts, and many university courses, you hear utterance so often it sounds okay after a while in this sort of context.

Hi, if I say: " Time you went home" is it correct?

Informally, as informal language?

Last edited:
"Time to [whatever]" is good at the beginning of a sentence, not so good later.

A few introductory words before it are okay:

- Hey, time to go!
- Oh, Father, time for work!
- What do you know, time for tea.

But I don't think it will do to plop it in the middle of a line.

Yes.

You're welcome!

A 'sentence' is written discourse whereas an 'utterance' is spoken.

'Utterance' is entirely natural on a forum discussing use of English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back