Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does it mean by more gradually?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Which of the two words do you not understand?

Last edited:
Which of the two words do you not understand?
I don't understand the unit consisting of the 2 words, not each of them . Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand the unit consisting of the 2 words, not each of them . Thanks!

Notlerest, if you understand the two words separately, then I cannot see why you do not understand them together. Why don't you post a complete sentence that has puzzled you in which the words are used.

Notlerest, if you understand the two words separately, then I cannot see why you do not understand them together. Why don't you post a complete sentence that has puzzled you in which the words are used.
In my opinion, we cannot use " more gradually", just as we cannot use "more extremely."At least it is no meaning in Chinese。 Gramatically speaking , before any adverbs we can add more, but in meaning it is not so , I think.
Thank 5jj indeed!

It certainly has a meaning. "Gradually" means that something is changing little by little. An antonym would be "sudden."

Saying that "gradually" can't be more or less, is like saying there is only one rate of acceleration. I could gradually increase my speed on the highway, from 55 to 65 mph over a span of ten seconds. Or I could more gradually increase my speed over 30 seconds.

It certainly has a meaning. "Gradually" means that something is changing little by little. An antonym would be "sudden."

Saying that "gradually" can't be more or less, is like saying there is only one rate of acceleration. I could gradually increase my speed on the highway, from 55 to 65 mph over a span of ten seconds. Or I could more gradually increase my speed over 30 seconds.

Under some circumstances, we cannot express in concrete number, for example, he finished the task gradually, what do you mean "I finished my task more gradually." Does "more gradually" means slower than "gradually"? May I ask who did it the most gradually? I cannot see the difference between them.
Thanks!

I think you could safely say
"He gradually added flour to the mix. However, had he carried this task out more gradually, there wouldn't have been any lumps!"
Hope it helps.

Last edited:
I think you could safely say
"He gradually added flour to the mix. However, had he carried this task out more gradually, there wouldn't have been any lumps!"
Hope it helps.
I see in English, under any circumstances, we can use gradually to modifying an act, but in Chinese,it isn't so. I am afraid. It is a difference between the 2 languages.
Thanks to all posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back