Would/Could you mind your own business ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

birgit33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Thailand
Is the question "Would/Could you mind your own business ?" a polite way to say "Mind your own business !" ?

J

J&K Tutoring

There is no 'polite' way to say, "Mind your own business". More polite ways to say the same thing are numerous and varied, depending on the situation. Some possibilities:

1. "This is a private matter between ____ and myself. Would you excuse us please?"
2. "I appreciate your interest, but I prefer to handle it in my own way."
3. "I want to try it my way but, if I need help, I know just where to turn."

4. "Go peddle your papers!" could be said to be just as firm, but slightly less confrontational- more jokingly.

birgit33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Thailand
There is no 'polite' way to say, "Mind your own business". More polite ways to say the same thing are numerous and varied, depending on the situation. Some possibilities:

1. "This is a private matter between ____ and myself. Would you excuse us please?"
2. "I appreciate your interest, but I prefer to handle it in my own way."
3. "I want to try it my way but, if I need help, I know just where to turn."

4. "Go peddle your papers!" could be said to be just as firm, but slightly less confrontational- more jokingly.

But is "Would/Could you mind your own business ?" a correct, although not overly friendly way to tell somebody to"buzz off" ?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But is "Would/Could you mind your own business ?" a correct, although not overly friendly way to tell somebody to"buzz off" ?
Yes, though I'd say 'fairly unfriendly' rather than 'not overly friendly'. Friends who are on jocularly insulting terms would probably drop the 'could/would you'.

birgit33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Thailand
Yes, though I'd say 'fairly unfriendly' rather than 'not overly friendly'. Friends who are on jocularly insulting terms would probably drop the 'could/would you'.

Yes, I know "Mind your own business" is (quite) rude, so I'm trying to undo it from its rudest edges, but still wanting to send a "strong" message, which is (still) within the borders of politeness, if you know what I mean...

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Post #2 has some useful suggestions. The second is pretty firm.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say that any sentence which includes the words "Mind your own business", even if preceded or followed by other words, would not be described as "polite" to any extent.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I know "Mind your own business" is (quite) rude, so I'm trying to undo it from its rudest edges, but still wanting to send a "strong" message, which is (still) within the borders of politeness, if you know what I mean...

NOT A TEACHER

(1) As the teachers have said, there is no polite way to use the words "mind your own

business." (For some people, those are "fighting words.")

(2) Actually if you really want to send a "strong" message without being

openly rude, you can always use the ultimate "weapon": SILENCE.

(3) For example, if someone says something that you feel is putting his/her

nose in your business, simply smile and say absolutely nothing. He/she will soon

get the message that he/she is out of line. Silence is powerful and terrifying to us

human beings.

(4) If someone writes something to you that you feel is out of line, simply do not

dignify it with an answer.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the question "Would/Could you mind your own business ?" a polite way to say "Mind your own business !" ?

NOT A TEACHER

(1) If you insist on using the word "business," you could try this method (which

is firm yet not overly rude):

Mona: I hear that you are dating Tony.

Sue: That's right.

Mona: If I were you, I wouldn't date him. He belongs to religion X, you know.

Sue: (BIG smile) I think that's my business, don't you? (BIG smile)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Intonation could also affect the strength- an angry person could say Would you mind your own business with a heavy emphasis on would as a way of expressing real anger or exasperation.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
And I am afraid that a common way of expressing it nowadays is, "F*** off"

emka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
And I am afraid that a common way of expressing it nowadays is, "F*** off"
Not that I would want to use it, but is there a difference in strength/rudeness between F*** off and B*gg** off for “leave me alone”? I've heard both quite often.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Not that I would want to use it, but is there a difference in strength/rudeness between F*** off and B*gg** off for “leave me alone”? I've heard both quite often.
Except among friends/colleagues who use the expressions in the full knowledge that no offence is intended or will be taken, both expressions should be considered offensive in that sense - always.

Status
Not open for further replies.