Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi, everyone.
Suppose I want to express that I watched a movie quickly, just jumping from scene to scene to know the movie's main idea. In other words, I didn't watch it at full length. What should I say then?
I've prepared a number of phrases: glance through/navigate through/jump through/skim/take a quick look through/browse through/dip into/flip through/flick through/scan through/glide through. Many of them apply for reading books/magazines, but I don't know which will suit my need above.
Thank you very much.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You could say 'I skipped through it'.

As the process involves repeated use of the fast forward button on the remote control, I say (informally) 'I whizzed through it'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would use "skipped". Mind you, I can't remember the last time I actually did that. If I've rented or recorded a movie, I either watch it or I don't. If I get a short way into it and I'm not enjoying it, I just turn it off.

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think many of the other listed phrases are rather appropriate -- like browsing, scanning and glancing through the scenes. In reading, we would peruse relevant chapters. With DVDs and Blu-rays these days, you can actually "skim" through scenes rather quickly and even watch in 2X speed (with sound).

With books, you can "flip" through chapters. I suppose you can also flip through the scenes in a movie.

I wouldn't use navigate, jump, dip, flick, or glide.

--lotus

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
You could say 'I skipped through it'.
What about if I want to talk about a TV series, instead of a movie, what should I say then?
For example, if I say, "I skipped through some episodes," will it be perceived as I dropped some episodes completely?
By the way, I can still probably use, "For some episodes, I just browsed/scanned/glanced/skimmed/flipped/skipped/whizzed through the scenes." Right?
Thanks a lot.
NOT A TEACHER

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is a possibility that skipping through chapters in a DVD would mean not seeing the content. You can actually use all of the listed verbs. It's just that some are more common than others, and some are better than others for certain situations.

--lotus

Status
Not open for further replies.