Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I stumbled upon the word 'post hub'. Understanding from the context it means a distribution center for mail. Not a post office where you can go and sending letters from. Much more like a big building where a lot of mail arrives by trucks for sorting and distributing it to smaller facilities from where it is delivered to the receivers by postmen. The text I found it in is not written by a native speaker.

From dictionaries I got the meaning of hub and in the context it seams to be correct. Post is the British equivalent to mail guess.

Does a native speaker understand what is meant by 'post hub'? I found 'letter center', 'letter sorting center' and even 'mail hub'. But 'post hub' is not mentioned anywhere.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I'd call that a "sorting office".

magi_cal

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I'd call that a "sorting office".

Thank you for your answer. I suggested sorting hub after looking it up. Office sounds like a little place in a city. I talk about centers where thausands and thausends of letters arrive and are sorted automatically. Still calling that a office? My friend wants to stay with post hub due to consistency of the usage of the word post in the text. Question is: is post hub understood by native speakers? Or does it sound weird?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Post hub would convey nothing to most AmE-speakers. Sorting office​ would be understood, in the context of mail.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I stumbled upon the [STRIKE]word[/STRIKE] expression 'post hub'. Understanding from the context it means a distribution center for mail. Not a post office where you can go and sending letters from. Much more like a big building where a lot of mail arrives by trucks for sorting and distributing it to smaller facilities from where it is delivered to the receivers by postmen. The text I found it [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was not written by a native speaker.
Please tell us more about the text you found it in.

thausands and thausends

Note the correct spelling of 'thousands'.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, we call them distribution centers. (Formally, they're called processing and distribution centers.) We have 82 of them. You're right, they're not post offices.

magi_cal

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thank you all for your suggestions. To let you know: My friend went with distribution center.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A definite improvement. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.