Member Type
Other
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I will like to start this thread with an apology if this is not the best place to post the question or this has been addressed before. I have tried to find the topic using "Advanced Search" feature and couldn't fine one; I hope it is pretty safe to assume this has not been asked before?

My question has to do with the word "assistances" in this sentence: "I will like to thank them for their assistances." I was told that assistance does not have a plural form and I need to remove the "s" at the end of the word. However, some dictionary website indicates that the plural form of "assistance" is "assistances". How about the word "help" in the same sentence: "I will like to thank them for their helps"?

Thanks,

BWT

I will like to start this thread with an apology if this is not the best place to post the question or this has been addressed before. I have tried to find the topic using "Advanced Search" feature and couldn't fine one; I hope it is pretty safe to assume this has not been asked before?

My question has to do with the word "assistances" in this sentence: "I will like to thank them for their assistances." I was told that assistance does not have a plural form and I need to remove the "s" at the end of the word. However, some dictionary website indicates that the plural form of "assistance" is "assistances". How about the word "help" in the same sentence: "I will like to thank them for their helps"?

Thanks,

BWT

Both "assistances" and "helps" would be wrong in that sentence, "will" is not good either.

Thanks,

BWT

I agree with bhai. The nouns "assistance" and "help" are uncountable in modern English. I just checked three good dictionaries and found no inflected form. I then checked an unabridged dictionary and found an archaic use of "assistance" that could be pluralized.

Both "assistances" and "helps" would be wrong in that sentence, "will" is not good either.

Thank you for your prompt response. I think I know how to use the word "helps" as in "multiple helps" where helps can mean "maids"; however, can you show me the proper way to use the word "assistances"? In addition, can you give me more pointer on why the word "will" is not good either?

Again, Thank you

BWT

Thank you for your prompt response. I think I know how to use the word "helps" as in "multiple helps" where helps can mean "maids"; however, can you show me the proper way to use the word "assistances"? In addition, can you give me more pointer on why the word "will" is not good either?

Again, Thank you

BWT

We don't use "helps" for "maids".

...can you give me a pointer on why the word "will" is not good either?

'I would like to thank them for their assistance.'

Your appreciation is welcome but there is no need to write a new post to say thank you. Simply click the Like button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back