Student or Learner
Native Language
Sesotho
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
Goood Day,
I am not native speaker of English. I have challenge when interpretating noun +of+noun. kindly assist in the interpretation of this sentence and thoroughly explain to me how do perfect myself in this regard.
1-problematic nature of legal resolutions
2-morally conflicting conceptions of justice.

Thank you in advance

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Goood Day,
I am not native speaker of English. I have challenge when interpretating noun +of+noun. kindly assist in the interpretation of this sentence and thoroughly explain to me how do perfect myself in this regard.
1-problematic nature of legal resolutions
2-morally conflicting conceptions of justice.

Thank you in advance

it would be better if you posted entire sentences.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't see the problem here- many things have a problematic nature, and in this phrase the speaker is talking about the particular problematic nature that legal resolutions have.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forums, pnong.

The preposition 'of' here means 'associated with'.

pnong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Sesotho
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
Kindly see the phrase as requested:
"this chapter will draw on case studies that show the elusiveness of justice and will demonstrate the effects of the problematic nature of legal resolutions within morally conflicting conceptions of justice"

pnong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Sesotho
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
Thanks for prompt reponse to my query, however the explanation that you cite is still not clear to me. Kindly explain in a simple English. The reason I request a clear explanation from you is that in the dictionary they explain "nature" as the "kind and sort". am I allow to say problematic kind. in the media they like to say "the nature of the problems" is it the same as "the kind of the problems"."the nature of business"=the kind of business.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Kindly see the phrase as requested:
"this chapter will draw on case studies that show the elusiveness of justice and will demonstrate the effects of the problematic nature of legal resolutions within morally conflicting conceptions of justice"

It appears the chapter deals with actual legal cases in which the final decision was deemed to be unjust. "Problematic nature of legal resolutions" means that the ultimate verdict is not always just or fair to all parties. "Morally conflicting conceptions of justice" probably involves the difference between what one knows intellectually and what one can prove. Assume for example, that there was a case of murder involving a contract killer. The killer was convicted, but the prosecutors could not prove the connection to the person who likely hired the killer. So a guilty party went free.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for prompt reponse to my query, however the explanation that you cite is still not clear to me. Kindly explain in a simple English. The reason I request a clear explanation from you is that in the dictionary they explain "nature" as the "kind and sort". am I allow to say problematic kind. in the media they like to say "the nature of the problems" is it the same as "the kind of the problems"."the nature of business"=the kind of business.

In that use, "nature" means the essential characteristics or the basic/inherent features of the noun.

Status
Not open for further replies.