Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Several days ago I was reading news on my iPhone on my way to university and bumped into this passage or whatever it's called. Usually when I come across something interesting I ask native speakers to explain some specifics of the English language.

-qGwhaLDD60.jpg

I don't quite understand how to upload files correctly, so I'm sorry in advance for this huge image :oops:.

The thing I'm interested in is the very first sentence. How is it possible to mix "announced" and "will + verb"? Isn't it supposed to be "would convene", is it? I'm a bit confused with this one. I hope you'll pour some light on this issue.

P.S if the image somehow adversely affects workability of your device, I'll try my best to shrink it.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The thing I'm interested in is the very first sentence. How is it possible to mix "announced" and "will + verb"? Isn't it supposed to be "would convene", is it? I'm a bit confused with this one. I hope you'll pour some light on this issue.

The sentence in question: The World Health Organization announced Thursday that it will convene an emergency meeting....

This if fine as written. The announcement occurred in the past, hence the past simple; the meeting will be convened in the future in the timeframe of the passage.

If the passage was published on February 12th, the announcement occurred on February 11th and the meeting will occur sometime after the 12th.

If the meeting had already happened, the sentence would have to read ...it would convene an emergency meeting.... For example: President Lincoln announced the Preliminary Emancipation Proclamation on September 22nd, 1862. The proclamation announced that all slaves in territory that was still in rebellion as of January 1, 1863, would be free.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
This is an example of reported speech. Backshifting (eg, 'will' to 'would') is correct, but not essential, if the situation reported is still valid at the time of reporting

What would you personally use? As for me it irritates my ears a bit :oops:. My hands are itiching to use "would".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The is no problem with the sentence. They announced in the past what is going to happen in the future.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As it's hot news being rushed to your phone, I think will works better. If it were history being reported, I'd use would.

Status
Not open for further replies.