Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Some part of a history book reads:
"But such uprisings as the Ole Miss riots seldom come without victims. It had been a nasty night of fighting and resentment, and trails of blood and a ground layer of thick, powdery teargas residue lingered that following day. In the end, there were two people dead and 166 wounded."

Why is "dead" after "people" but not before? I do know that "wounded" could come after "166 [people]" because it is formed from the verb "wound". But "dead" has no verb form.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Two people dead has a meaning similar to two people who had been killed.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"But such uprisings as the Ole Miss riots seldom come without victims. It had been a nasty night of fighting and resentment, and trails of blood and a ground layer of thick, powdery teargas residue lingered that following day. In the end, there were two people dead and 166 wounded."

Why is "dead" after "people" but not before? I do know that "wounded" could come after "166 [people]" because it is formed from the verb "wound". But "dead" has no verb form.

REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER

I most respectfully suggest that it is a short way to write:

In the end, there were two people [who were] dead and 166 [who were] wounded.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Adjectives of quality e.g. 'happy', 'rich', 'alive' (or lack of quality as in 'dead') can go before their nouns or after some verbs such as 'be' (and its forms), 'seem','become'. (Practical English Grammar, Oxford University Press)

LilyAm

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Adjectives of quality e.g. 'happy', 'rich', 'alive' (or lack of quality as in 'dead') can go before their nouns or after some verbs such as 'be' (and its forms), 'seem','become'. (Practical English Grammar, Oxford University Press)

But in my example, the adjective of quality (dead) comes AFTER the noun (people).

LilyAm

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
If "In the end, there were two people dead and 166 wounded." is acceptable, would "In the end, there were two people happy and 166 unhappy." be too?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If "In the end, there were two people dead and 166 wounded." is acceptable, would "In the end, there were two people happy and 166 unhappy." be too?

Acceptable, yes. Unusual, yes.

However, I am not saying that we would normally say "in the end, there were two happy people and 166 unhappy people". The "there were" construction doesn't really fit. I would be more likely to say "In the end, two people were happy and 166 were unhappy."

Status
Not open for further replies.