Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I have seen that some people say "What a day!" sometimes. And it appeared in many stories, movies,etc... So I wonder " What's this idiom mean?". Can you help me explain it? Thanks a lot ^^

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have seen that some people say "What a day!" sometimes. And it appeared in many stories, movies,etc... So I wonder " What's this idiom mean?". Can you help me explain it? Thanks a lot ^^

It all depends on context. If somone has had a terrible day full of disasters and disappointments they might say "What a day!" meaning "What an awful day/That was a terrible day".

If they had a fantastic day of joy and happiness and lovely things, they might say exactly the same thing but they would mean "I've had a great day".

If you don't know what kind of day someone had and they exclaimed "What a day!" to you, you would have to get them to clarify by asking something like "Why? What happened?" Once they've told you, you would know what they meant.

We use "What a ..." quite a lot. An unpleasant person might cause the comment "What a b*stard!", a stupid person "What an idiot!", a very handsome man "What a hunk!"

It's not really an idiom as such.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.